Am I over reacting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 25, 2016
So this past weekend we were at a indoor Tournamnet. There was very little room to warm up between games so I was warming my DD up pitching off the the side. The team we were going to be facing in the elimination game had just come off the field and were getting talked to by the head coach. 2 of the assistant coaches 1 who I know is an instigator and hothead stood with there arms crossed 3-4 feet behind me just watching DD pitch. My DD thinks it's funny that these guys are trying to intimidate her or something but it just pissed me off, she is 11. When she was done I stood up and asked them if everything was ok and they just chuckled and turned around. Am I over reacting and is this normal behavior for them?? Feel free to be honest if I'm just crazy.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am not that aggressive but I do watch opposing warm up.

DD can be wild sometimes, if it just so happens to hit them I will suffer the consequences.

Sep 29, 2014
That sounds dangerous to me, I'd probably ask him "Are you sure you want to stand there? I trust DD it's just I'm not a very good catcher!":rolleyes: but if they are just off to the side or even 20 ft back who cares just give me a little space...if we were outside the whole world could see you warm up so no big deal

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2015
The first tournament DD 3 ever played in, she warmed up right next to the other team. I had her warm up there. Didn't think anything of it. The HC noticed, and pointed to her head, and said "smart". To this day I don't know if she was criticizing me, or praising me because DD 3 threw really fast for a 10U player (but WILD!), and could intimidate the other team.

That HC did some things before the games to intimidate the other team. It was over 90 degrees, which is HOT in Wisconsin. The HC had the girls practice every day in the hottest part of the day, to get used to the heat. So before the game, when the other team was wilting from the heat, HC told her girls to run around and then warm-ups in the heat, which really got into the other team's heads.

That's interesting. I wonder what he did mean. I remember once last year we played a team that was a year younger and hadn't played against a lot of teams with good pitching. I remember the girls watching my DD warm up and giving each other wide-eyed looks. It can definitely be intimidating (not that we did that on purpose, they were just warming up as usual). And, along the same lines, our girls watching the 05s warming up can be pretty intimidating too.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
So this past weekend we were at a indoor Tournamnet. There was very little room to warm up between games so I was warming my DD up pitching off the the side. The team we were going to be facing in the elimination game had just come off the field and were getting talked to by the head coach. 2 of the assistant coaches 1 who I know is an instigator and hothead stood with there arms crossed 3-4 feet behind me just watching DD pitch. My DD thinks it's funny that these guys are trying to intimidate her or something but it just pissed me off, she is 11. When she was done I stood up and asked them if everything was ok and they just chuckled and turned around. Am I over reacting and is this normal behavior for them?? Feel free to be honest if I'm just crazy.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Two things...

1) Watching the opposing pitcher is nothing new. I do it all the time. But if this is what they were doing and then they chuckled in your direction, they are just jerks, in my opinion. I am all for scouting, but I try to be polite about it.

2) We have played in several dome tournaments, and space is VERY limited. At least at the domes we were at. During warmups we always have a dad or two "standing guard" just in case a stray ball headed toward our players. We had one player nearly hit in the back of the head by a line drive because the one dad wasn't paying attention. Very scary moment... Is it possible that these coaches were shielding their team from your warmups just in case a ball got away from her?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Am I over reacting
they just chuckled
I'd say under reacted......
giphy.gif

But, that's just me......

Feb 17, 2014
I've always watched the other teams' pitchers warm up. I've never stood that close, but I've always watched especially if I don't know the pitchers on the other team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802