Alternative catching ideas

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
I use to really enjoy bucket time but not anymore.

I'm in the same spot. Caught DD at her lesson last night and there were a couple of pitches that I barely had time to react to. She's had a few friends offer to catch for her, and I've been saying no because I really do love the time we've spent together as she's developed as a pitcher. But I know my days are numbered :(

It's the same mixture of pride and sadness as when I realized that I should no longer be coaching her teams -- gotta let them fly.

May 6, 2015
. I can say I have a higher appreciation of fastpitch catchers and kinda wonder what in the world makes them want to do it.

as the father of a FP catcher, I can tell you it takes a little crazy, plus a little bit of control freak (my DD always wants to be calling the shots, in soccer she is GK (directing defense), in FP she loves to catch and lead the team.

Nov 8, 2018
Thanks everyone for the ideas. I knew others had been in a similar position before. I use to really enjoy bucket time but not anymore. I get a kick out of people on Facebook posting about kids throwing heat and just using a normal glove to catch. I’d love for them to try and catch real heat with movement. I can say I have a higher appreciation of fastpitch catchers and kinda wonder what in the world makes them want to do it.

I have a better appreciation too of the girls who stand in that box with heat coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 6, 2015
I have a better appreciation too of the girls who stand in that box with heat coming.

at least they are pretty certain P is not aiming for them. when I used to coach rec, if C was a tiny thing, I would tell Ps to try to knock the Cs teeth out, to give them something to focus on

Apr 20, 2017

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel sorry for the girls that coaches make toe the plate against heat. My daughter says it’s her plate and is not changing because it’s a tight window. And yes At younger age I’ve seen a few carried to first base.

Feb 7, 2013
Armor up! Get a mask, catcher's gear and most importantly steel-toe boots. My DD's old pitching coach told us that one father was catching in flip flops and the ball hit him right on the big toe and he lost the nail, ouch! There is no pride in getting beat up behind the plate...

Apr 26, 2015
I would definitely ask pitching or catching coaches if they know any girls who want extra reps. DD catches for several pitchers who see the same pitching coach that a girl on her team sees. He knows she loves getting extra work in. Several of them pay her $10 or $20 but she also catches a few just for practice. For a while there I swear she was catching someone different every day. She is a sophomore now but has been doing that for 3 or 4 years. She has caught girls younger and even a couple girls who play in college.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802