Alternative catching ideas

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2017
My days of being able to sit on the bucket to catch are quickly coming to and end. What are some suggestions or other things you have done for your pitchers practice when you couldn’t feel comfortable catching them anymore. Our team is a couple of hours away so the team catchers are not really an option. I may have a couple local girls that will catch her a couple of days a week. Just looking for advice for the other days. Thanks

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
I've recently invested in catcher's legs and a mask because my DD is throwing harder and my shins can't take it anymore when a fastball hits the dirt and jumps up on me. Assuming you still wouldn't feel comfortable even using armor (maybe you already have some), I think you are on the right track. I would see if there are any girls or even boys locally that want to work on their catching skills once or twice a week for an hour. In addition, depending on her age, you could devote one of your weekly practices to long toss, which is very beneficial and doesn't depend on you sitting on a bucket. You could also have a practice where she is really focused on mechanics and/or spinning pitches and throwing into a hitting net with a tarp. You can get a lot of quality work in without a catcher, if you get a little bit creative.

Oct 27, 2017
Ask some of the local catching instructors for names of girls that want some extra practice. My DD (11yo) catches for two different pitchers during the week (in addition to lessons) and this past week caught for a sophomore that needed a last min fill in.
The more time behind the plate the better she gets.

May 3, 2018
Sit on a bucket with glove behind the bownet. This allows you to give her a target without getting killed.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I know a pitching coach that usually has pitchers throw into a bownet with target. He says it lets pitcher throw harder?? And says it objectifies the target. He is pretty successful.

Nov 8, 2018
I’m in a similar boat. Dd throwing harder. However I can still catch her with shin guards on but her movement is getting scary. Especially in my basement where lighting isn’t great.
What I did was similar to that pitching coach. I use a bow net with targets on it around the zone. I hung Little colored bands on it as targets.
So now she gets to throw to targets. With or without me and I get to watch and teach. Can’t see Much when balls are coming at your face at 50+.

Anyway. This has been a good change up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 6, 2015
they now make sets of straps for nets that you mount on them, basically an adjustable hashtag or tictactoe game, you can move the horizontal straps up or down, the verticle ones side to side, so you can create large to small border areas, seems these would be good for working placement

Apr 20, 2017
Thanks everyone for the ideas. I knew others had been in a similar position before. I use to really enjoy bucket time but not anymore. I get a kick out of people on Facebook posting about kids throwing heat and just using a normal glove to catch. I’d love for them to try and catch real heat with movement. I can say I have a higher appreciation of fastpitch catchers and kinda wonder what in the world makes them want to do it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478