Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Allie 9yr old

Oct 2, 2017
Leverage as in getting to toe touch, but understanding the feeling of the ground beneath both feet. Weight is still back but lead foot is using ground as a lever for the middle/core to work off of.

For her the instruction can be as simple as holding her hands and bat and have her get to toe touch and ask her to pull handle using her body instead of her arms. Then have her lift front foot off ground and try it. See what feels stronger.
Oh ok, I see what your saying. Thanks for the suggestion

Oct 2, 2017
She starts VERY open (not that I object...) Is that by design? Or a comfort thing?
She's been doing that starting beginning of last season and had good success with it. So she has kept it. I've tried to just get her not to be too open though. Plus i think it is a comfort thing.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
She's been doing that starting beginning of last season and had good success with it. So she has kept it. I've tried to just get her not to be too open though. Plus i think it is a comfort thing.
The thing that impresses me is that although the front legs are very open her torso is closed. When I see younger hitters start in that type of stance they have a habit of counter rotating during the stride, but she does a nice job of controlling it. I only bring it up because most coaches in my area would try to take it away from her. Personally I think she will adjust as she grows.