Alliance vs. PGF???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 7, 2018
IMO, this is a very important part of the PGF equation. It's really 2 events back-to-back...showcase, followed by tournament. The showcase/pool games are meaningless to a team's placing in bracket play, and are the best chance to get college coaches out to see the games. It also means more softball games get played. making the trip more worthwhile for those who are travelling from other areas. I would be unhappy to travel to OKC, and be done after just a couple of games.

Looking at the 16U and 18U PGF brackets this year, it seemed like there were more strong teams from states that aren't generally considered softball powerhouse areas than we've seen in the past. This is a good thing.
But say I'm part of a one off team that earned a bid, do you think I'm going to be placed at a main field against a big name for college coaches to show up? (I know they show up with a predetermined list of who, where, and what time just playing devils advocate here)

With OKC teams that are eliminated from round of 3-4 teams are then placed in a double elimination Q bracket. So regardless if your team poops the bed your playing 4 games.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
We just got back from Alliance daughters last go, they didnt win it, but I couldnt be happier of where her travel ball ended. There are a few things I would love to see put into place, but overall it was a great time and format. As far as costs as mentioned above I spent a ton less in travel and lodging.

I would like to have seen more upsets than just the one, daughters team came extremely close to knocking off one of the big dogs, but that is what is so awesome about this format, you can qualify earn your keep all summer long to get placed higher, or even be an outlier team, or newly formed team and compete to knock off the favorite and make a name for yourself, with a sh** ton of college coaches watching cause that number 1 seed is for sure bringing them out.

PGF has the weather and that's about it, higher costs for us, the amount we spent going to PGF Nationals in the past and Alliance isnt even comparable, same teams in our area are getting invites regardless of how good or bad the team is year in year out. Those pool play games are predetermined fields, sites, and opponents.

OKC in late July yes its going to be hot cant do anything about that.

If anyone has there ear I would love to see a selection show or recorded zoom meeting not just for number 1 seeds but all seeding, and some whys this will hush some of the naysayers, I would love to see a system where coaches can log on after games to judge umps and as the tournament dwindles down those umps with poor reviews are sent home, those umps with higher reviews stay, and are rewarded a bonus or higher pay, umps with lowest reviews not asked back following year.
Same with Pgf any team can compete to win it.
Teams end up playing eachother.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
But say I'm part of a one off team that earned a bid, do you think I'm going to be placed at a main field against a big name for college coaches to show up? (I know they show up with a predetermined list of who, where, and what time just playing devils advocate here)
Teams that are still playing all end up on the best fields.
(and from what it looks like thats the same for both)

Showcases are better for recruitment pre-set game times.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

With OKC teams that are eliminated from round of 3-4 teams are then placed in a double elimination Q bracket. So regardless if your team poops the bed your playing 4 games.

I guess it depends what you're looking for. "College coaches" aren't just top-20 D1s. We played 18U Platinum on a late invite bid, and we were never at the HB fields, but we saw college coaches at every game. Most of them were D2 or D3, but that's perfect for the needs for the girls on our team. Some where there to watch specific players. Others where just out shopping.

Thanks for the clarification on the Alliance format. Meanwhile, PGF teams played a minimum of 6 games over 4 days.

Nov 8, 2020
To the point of prepairing teams/players for college.
~If you want to do a better job of that.
Play 7 innings!
1:50 minimum!!!

Start by actually playing what is an entire game.

Hellllloooooo....
All of the games at the Alliance Chamlionships were 7 innings unless it was a mercy game.

Bill Barber field is a stadium. Great Park also has a stadium.

Having now been to both PGF championships and the Alliance championships its hard to say which one I think is better. PGF is by far at a better location, by far. Playing on turf fields in Oklahoma and in that weather, plus all the bugs blow. But I understand that we're spoiled in Southern California. Alliance might be cool if the local leagues they talk about ever start up. PGF has some cool things too and maybe PGF makes some tweaks to their format and stops giving away free berths to their championships.
Most of all, it would be cool to have these tournaments a week or 2 apart so you can play in both.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Corona Angels, Batbusters, Firecrackers, and Mercado Athletics top teams all being at Alliance instead of PGF is a clearly coordinated effort, even though all of those teams were in So Cal the week before for TC Nationals. You can bet for sure that it's a money thing. PGF has been successful, and the top dogs are unhappy with what they're getting out of it. I would expect more of the top orgs across the country will be on the Alliance train next year.
There are some BB and FC teams in PGF. Few teams playing both (crazy). Hope it goes the other way and more teams have a miserable experience then come back to play in PGF next year. Parents need to tell their coaches they do not wish to be in OK in August. So now is the time for tryouts and team jumping, parents when you are offered a spot on a new team be sure to ask about their travel plans and are they PGF or Alliance. I know a family that joined a 14u team, bought the uniforms and start up fees only to be forced to quit the team a month later because they learned the team was traveling to TN and Florida this summer and they simply could not afford it.

Jun 8, 2016
All of the games at the Alliance Chamlionships were 7 innings unless it was a mercy game.

Bill Barber field is a stadium. Great Park also has a stadium.

Having now been to both PGF championships and the Alliance championships its hard to say which one I think is better. PGF is by far at a better location, by far. Playing on turf fields in Oklahoma and in that weather, plus all the bugs blow. But I understand that we're spoiled in Southern California. Alliance might be cool if the local leagues they talk about ever start up. PGF has some cool things too and maybe PGF makes some tweaks to their format and stops giving away free berths to their championships.
Most of all, it would be cool to have these tournaments a week or 2 apart so you can play in both.

They have Regional leagues (Pacific Coast Fastpitch is the one in CA)..not sure if you are talking more local than that...

You play against teams from those leagues (and other member leagues) and you are awarded points for various types of results(wins in pool, wins in bracket, etc) The number of earned points seeds you in the League Championships from which they award berths. That is the gist of the qualifying system.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Also again ( I said this in the other thread), I am not sure the various ages are going to be in the same location every year. Maybe 18's stays in OK because of HOF stadium (eg I cannot see them wasting that venue on 10's/12's despite how cool it would be for those kids) but I am not sure.

Going to go hit my kids GB in 98 degrees and humid in a bit and will cut my grass in the same tomorrow..don't want to hear about the weather..drink a lot of water and suck it up :LOL:

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020
There are some BB and FC teams in PGF. Few teams playing both (crazy). Hope it goes the other way and more teams have a miserable experience then come back to play in PGF next year. Parents need to tell their coaches they do not wish to be in OK in August. So now is the time for tryouts and team jumping, parents when you are offered a spot on a new team be sure to ask about their travel plans and are they PGF or Alliance. I know a family that joined a 14u team, bought the uniforms and start up fees only to be forced to quit the team a month later because they learned the team was traveling to TN and Florida this summer and they simply could not afford it.
The BB, FC, MA, CA teams that stayed in So Cal and played at PGF are the C and D teams. The top teams from those 4 organizations went to Oklahoma.
Playing both wouldn't be possible for one team as they were held at the same time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812