Alexis 12yrs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 6, 2016

So, do this in dry reps:
1. stand up straighter
2. swing and take the elbow much further down, to the belt level. (she is not currently bringing it down this far, it just seems that way since she bends forward)

After you master this, check the hip slot position. Also see if it fixes her front leg/knee - it should straighten as she rotates to contact.

She has a very interesting move with the bat prior to hip slot (notice how she cut the length of the bat in half in the above pic) that is somewhat similar to Mantle and other older hitters. She could be very powerful. (She may need to bring her hands down a couple inches after she stops bending over, in order to have the same effect)

Do you have pics/examples of this to help me visualize this. Not quite sure if I'm imagining in my head the same thing you may be. Thx!

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
In my opinion, the young lady made a great adjustment on an outside pitch she was early on, stayed in posture (actually gets into more posture) and pulled the pitch. Exactly what is suppose to happen when reacting to something she didn’t expect.

Pitcher missed her spot, batter knew what the pitch was and still made the adjustment.Very very nice! that’s what I call a good piece of hitting!

hand path is down and across. I wouldn’t mess w her hand path in the least bit OP. maybe just emphasize getting on top during tee work. You can do the wall drill to tighten it up w a tee and bownet or just dry next to a bownet.

the down portion everyone agrees on for the most part. The ‘across’ is just the releasing of the barrel into the ball and using all the stored energy to its max. Think of drawing a golf ball and cutting a golf ball. Which one will go further?

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2016
Had another game yesterday. My wife is getting pretty dang good at the angles/view. 😁

Full vid and a slo mo of same AB. Thing that jumps out is on the foul tip she is very balanced and swings through the pitch, but then on the one she hit to left it does not seem as balanced (leaning) and then...again..as soon as she makes impact with ball, her hands and bat "die" and fall instead of driving through impact and following through. Maybe simply a strength/age issue?

As others have mentioned, need to work on more coil (load) of front leg/knee for sure and not open up too soon.

Slo mo

Full

Foul tip swing:
coil 1.jpgtoe touch.jpghands.jpgimpact.jpgfoul finish.jpg

Hit swing:

load.jpgtoe.jpghands 2.jpghit.jpghand drop.jpg

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The ‘reach’ in her gather/stride phase is killing the balance/timing. I tell my players ‘the gather needs to pick up the stride’. This doesn’t mean more hip ‘coil’. But more sagittal plane loading. Or getting the butt back more in the s-plane. When the hips don’t stay back, they either open early or extend early. The initial positive hip rotation will happen through sequencing... having the pelvis closed, gaining ground against a closed upper half will
create the stretch reflex.

the Babe Ruth drill on the previous page should help.

Notice the gather. Then a small coil forward before the stride leg goes. She doesn’t have to get the foot in the air. It’s her preference. What’s she feels most comfortable doing. She just needs to be more stacked during the stride phase.

1606162396820.gif

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I like her swing, as mentioned earlier she is trying apply force into contact. She need to apply force into the handle at initiation of the swing and the force will be there at contact.

TTB.

Jun 8, 2016
I like her swing, as mentioned earlier she is trying apply force into contact. She need to apply force into the handle at initiation of the swing and the force will be there at contact.

TTB.
Applying force into the handle at launch won’t be enough if you are not launching with a “stretched” core as well which was what @Work=wins was alluding to. Along with the Babe Ruth drill mentioned to help the move out, I think maybe some SNF drills to help her accentuate the feel of launching with a stretched core might be useful.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Applying force into the handle at launch won’t be enough if you are not launching with a “stretched” core as well which was what @Work=wins was alluding to. Along with the Babe Ruth drill mentioned to help the move out, I think maybe some SNF drills to help her accentuate the feel of launching with a stretched core might be useful.

I don’t think she is far off with the lowerbody. I do see your point though.😀

Mar 6, 2016
Yep, I use the "Babe Ruth" drill with 2 ft together and stride for years now.

Is this is the "SNF" drill? Have not done this one. I use a similar type drill but not with the feet planted and not moving.

or the last part of this? 5:25 mark

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802