Alexis 12yrs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
Timing looks good to me. Rhythm and tempo too. Hands are level with the ball at contact. That’s gonna cause her to misalign under the ball. I wouldn’t do any drastic changes currently. Just give her the verbal que of “swing over the ball” or “ hit the top half of the ball” and see if that helps. It’s a bandaid but could help with the hands leveling. Find some drills that work on keeping the hands higher during rotation. Show her her angle of attack at contact (relationship of her hands to the barrel). The barrel will almost always drop below the hands simply due to gravity. She may have a little too much tilt in the shoulders. Others can comment on that. She looks really strong and athletic. I wouldn’t tinker too much. Bonds drill could help some as well. Braun drill too. She looks good!

Mar 6, 2016
I think her hands / bat arc are dropping due to lack of strength and bat speed. Until she is stronger, whatever arc she has will be dramatically changed at contact. Until she has the strength / bat speed to not have the bat arc completely change on contact, I am not sure how much more production you are going to get by hitting more fly balls.

Personal opinion, if she is making consistent, hard, line drive contact don't change it. At 12U hard contact makes things happen. And while this is a generalization (and may not be true for everyone), i think you'll have. more confident player if you have more hard contact (even if you have a few less extra base hits).

Definitely agree on the bat path getting "deflected" or changed at moment of impact. That's exactly what is happening. Trying to get stronger in her hands with weighted balls etc has been suggested and we do that some. To emphasize the hands driving through impact force more.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Drills that specifically work on upward arc extension?
miggyibbsingle.0.gif

Learn the 'why/how' of this.
Practice hitting opposite field.

Attachments

• 1618524016217.jpeg
    1618524016217.jpeg
    8.3 KB · Views: 20
Mar 6, 2016
Hey all, been awhile since last post. Thought I'd pop in to get some more feedback on my DD and her tendency to drop her hands/bat immediately after making contact. We've done all kinds of different drills to help with her finishing "through" impact and her extension, but as you can see many months later, she still has the same type of finish on her swings.

She hits the ball hard, successful hitter, but to me, leaks or drains potential power and distance from her hits because of the immediate drop after impact.

Which, begs the question, how important is the finish AFTER the ball has already left the bat after the millisecond of impact? The ball is gone and already hit, so does what hitter do after that have any real effect? My gut says yes, but maybe not.

Here are two videos of what she typically does after impact. Solid contact with good palm up/palm down brace at impact, but then ......immediate drop of hands and bat down to her waist and then she lets go of the bat and off she goes. I'd like her to finish higher and complete the swing instead.

March 2021

November 2021

These are her usual moments of impact...right before the bat makes a nosedive downward. 🤔

255667839_138381935197744_3523945357134098497_n.jpg

259285636_140907911611813_967591855408388513_n.jpg
IMG_3044.JPG
IMG_0414.JPG

LX7YartQ.jpeg

but, then ends up down here...

LNGS Illusion Game 02-29-2020-166.jpg
IMG_0193.JPG
IMG_3425.JPG
259152376_140908361611768_1271052068884875346_n.jpg
259797101_140908718278399_5541951622099031633_n.jpg

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I believe this is a simple fix. She has a faulty grip, it is over rotated. This causes the top hand to dominate the swing: at or shortly after impact she rolls over. Part of over rotating includes a tight grip in the top hand palm. Look at this video and at about 2:10 he specifically addresses the issue in your daughter's grip, her knuckle alignment. And get the bat more in her fingers, that is also in the video.

I also feel the top hand wrist should have some 'extension' and not be neutral or flat. This comes with a proper grip. Have her change her grip and make dry swings, she should feel a difference right away.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
timing is causing a sequencing issue. Which causes the poor release of the barrel. From what I can tell, the practice swing is very good. But timed to a ball it seems to breaks down.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I think ArmWhip made a great observation. Have player (lefty) on our team that has same grip but she hits bombs. Just presented it as "lets TRY this" not as a you must change. Just play around with different grips. Your DD looks very strong. And always keep in mind the 2nd Commandment of Hitting...Thou shall not turneth a .400 hitter into a .200 hitter.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Look when rotation is fastest not when rotation starts. That’s the key to staying short. The hands should be involved WITH rotation not after rotation. Compare the practice/game swings. Very different.

many don’t understand rotation. And it’s role. It doesn’t power the swing like some think. Leverage and the hands do. There just isn’t enough time to put a ‘power’ drunk rotational swing on balls. One day folks will get it.

1637517439065.gif

Reactions: TDS
Mar 6, 2016
I believe this is a simple fix. She has a faulty grip, it is over rotated. This causes the top hand to dominate the swing: at or shortly after impact she rolls over. Part of over rotating includes a tight grip in the top hand palm. Look at this video and at about 2:10 he specifically addresses the issue in your daughter's grip, her knuckle alignment. And get the bat more in her fingers, that is also in the video.

I also feel the top hand wrist should have some 'extension' and not be neutral or flat. This comes with a proper grip. Have her change her grip and make dry swings, she should feel a difference right away.

Her grip and overall bat/arms/elbow positioning is definitely something that we've tried adjusting over the past few seasons. But, muscle memory always comes back and he settles into what is most comfortable for her. Which I do think is a bit too much overgrip. It's funny when looking at all these photos how consistent she is and how similar they all are in all different games and at bats. LOL, so at least she's consistent in that regard. ;) It appears in some that she's at least "loose" with her top hand when I see the pinky or index finger sort of extend out for a moment. But, I do think it looks like the bat is too far back in the palm of top right hand.

grip close up 3.jpg
grip close up 4.jpg
grip close up 6.jpg
grip close up 7.jpg
grip close up 9.jpg
grip close up 10.jpg
grip close up 11.jpg
grip close up.jpg
grip close up12.jpg
grip close up 2.jpg

Jun 8, 2016
Her grip and overall bat/arms/elbow positioning is definitely something that we've tried adjusting over the past few seasons. But, muscle memory always comes back and he settles into what is most comfortable for her. Which I do think is a bit too much overgrip. It's funny when looking at all these photos how consistent she is and how similar they all are in all different games and at bats. LOL, so at least she's consistent in that regard. ;) It appears in some that she's at least "loose" with her top hand when I see the pinky or index finger sort of extend out for a moment. But, I do think it looks like the bat is too far back in the palm of top right hand.

View attachment 24483
View attachment 24484
View attachment 24485
View attachment 24486
View attachment 24488
View attachment 24489
View attachment 24490
View attachment 24491
View attachment 24492
View attachment 24493
The one thing I took away from this is that she has used more uniform combinations in the time frame which spanned those pictures then I used in 15 years of playing ball... 🤣

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom