Alexis 12yrs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
All in all looking good...along with Pattar I'd like to see a game swing just curious about her lower body stride then positioning just after looks kinda stiff, looking to see if she is a little more lose with a live swing. Plus she looks preloaded and coiled doesn't look like she moves her back half much but the explosion and turn of the rear hip looks good so not too worried and tee is pretty forward in these clips. Just would by nice to compare a live swing too.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
She has a good bit of drag. Which a lot of 11 year olds have but it does need to be addressed IMO.
Photo%20Jun%2016%2C%205%2027%2024%20AM.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2016
There's a lot I like about this swing. Alexis looks very athletic, and her sequence isn't far off. I really like how she uses her rear leg.

The first thing that jumps out at me as an issue is an exaggerated reach rearward. I expect she's reaching back in an effort to create more power. As pitching becomes more challenging, the added length in her swing will make it a lot harder for her to be successful. Instead of reaching rearward (toward the backstop) to create stretch/tension, a better move is to keep the hands closer to the rear shoulder and pull back into the scap (like drawing back a bow, rear elbow pulls back towards 3B dugout).

You can see the pulback into the scap happening here. Watch how Maddie's rear forearm moves to level with the ground, and the barrel tips forward a bit (towards the 1B dugout) before turning behind her shoulder and getting launched to contact.

With Alexis, she's currently creating stretch, and then turning/pushing everything forward all together. We want the scap pullback to be resisting against the turning of the rear leg, creating spiral tension around the rear leg/hip and up through the scap.

Yep..agree on the hands. She has tendency to "push" back her hands instead of slight "pull" back of right scap/elbow.

Its funny...the vids of Maddie are ones I look at and have shown my daughter. Take this as a compliment...Maddie is a "BEAST". Love that swing/power. Im trying also to get Alexis to "Squat" a little more at hips like Maddie and Jessie Harper do. Alexis is a bit too upright I think.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Yep..agree on the hands. She has tendency to "push" back her hands instead of slight "pull" back of right scap/elbow.

Its funny...the vids of Maddie are ones I look at and have shown my daughter. Take this as a compliment...Maddie is a "BEAST". Love that swing/power. Im trying also to get Alexis to "Squat" a little more at hips like Maddie and Jessie Harper do. Alexis is a bit too upright I think.
May not be a hard change for her. The hands move to their location in front of the deltoid first, then the elbow does it's thing.

Mar 6, 2016
Ok..found some videos my wife took (red jersey is last summer 10u...white jersey was in March 12u). I'm usually 3B coach..so not many vids.

Two aspects that we are trying to focus on as she "matures" physically and gets stronger: 1. Finish and follow through high. She has a tendency to drop the bat and kind of stop her swing right after impact. 2. As really evident in vid in white jersey...(one of her farthest hit balls this season but it literally was all upper arms) ....sometimes she stays " heavy" on back foot and it stays flat on ground. No drive in lower body and is all upper body.

Q: What drills help with getting girls to FINISH through impact and not drop hands so soon? I see it often in younger hitters.

Vid 1 10u

Slow Mo..
20200617_154200.gif
Vid 2 10u

Slo Mo..
20200617_150015.gif
Vid 3 12u

Slo Mo...
20200617_151506.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The things you are describing are all decel patterns which are great and I wouldn’t touch. The back foot staying down and the short finish is something Mike Trout and other great hitters do on a regular basis. I wouldn’t change a thing. Or you could make the mistake that 99% of parents/coaches make and try to install power and nonsense into her sequence.

her sequence is decent. She gathers her body with okay posture. She lets the gather pick up the stride and is pretty direct to the ball. Unless you run into problems let her progress naturally. Does she hits both sides of the plate well? If so. Leave her alone. Jmo

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
LOL...As Dads I don't think we know how to do that! 😜😀
She's got such a nice stroke (y) . The finish may be called 'just happy to hit the ball' rather than 'driving it'.

Maybe a practice hitting station off a tee for finishing at extension into a net. Wouldn't make a big deal of it, maybe five efforts.

Hitter-5.jpgHitter-11.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802