Alexander Technique

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I’ve read 4 books and stopped 3/4 through one book. Seemed to be getting into the weeds.

They all say the same thing you need lessons to understand how to better use yourself. That’s because they are trying to activate postural or poise muscle system that operates without you “doing” anything or “trying” to do anything. The more you try the more you interfere.

I had my first lesson, in-which I was lying down with the knees up for most of the lesson. She worked the limbs and tried to lengthen, widen, and get the head to move upwards (lengthen the spine).

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Mike Q and I have talked about getting players to the point where their swing is "unconscious". They don't think about doing anything specific, they just react.

I think it's kind of similar to what you're talking about.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Wait a minute while I fire up my bong. OK, I got it. Be the ball.

No seriously, in golf it is called target golf. 100% calm relaxed focus on your target only. Visualized target since you are looking at the ball. Absolutely zero mechanical thoughts. Its not easy. But it works. But you have to have decent swing mechanics to start with.

With my DD, she is to visualize her target as line drives (launch angle between 15 and 25) degrees.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Wait a minute while I fire up my bong. OK, I got it. Be the ball.

No seriously, in golf it is called target golf. 100% calm relaxed focus on your target only. Visualized target since you are looking at the ball. Absolutely zero mechanical thoughts. Its not easy. But it works. But you have to have decent swing mechanics to start with.

With my DD, she is to visualize her target as line drives (launch angle between 15 and 25) degrees.

"Take dead aim." - Harvey Penick

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Eric

There is a part in the Alexander Technique where you can’t trust your proprioception awareness for old habits. Where you inhibit the movement, take a second before reacting to the stimulus. You have to bring the action into consciousness control. Then through inhibiting you can choose how to carry out the stimulus or not to do anything.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric

There is a part in the Alexander Technique where you can’t trust your proprioception awareness for old habits. Where you inhibit the movement, take a second before reacting to the stimulus. You have to bring the action into consciousness control. Then through inhibiting you can choose how to carry out the stimulus or not to do anything.

Yeah...umm...I think I need to start with the method RH suggested before I can wrap my head around this idea. 🤪

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802