Alexander Technique

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Yeah...umm...I think I need to start with the method RH suggested before I can wrap my head around this idea. 🤪

I’ll try to summarize the technique as I learn and take lessons. I’ll explain inhibition and what we can bring into conscious directions. We don’t interfere with the postural system. That’s not what we bring into consciousness control.

Like anything the books I’ve read so far all explain it a little different.

Oct 3, 2019
So the Alexander Technique teaches nothing, or non doing.

An example I can relate to, one, is when I first started playing golf. I went too tee off on the first hole, a long green, trying to hit the ball well and I hit a little dribbler to the right around 30 ft. I retrieved the ball, tee’d it up and exhaled without trying anything. The swing felt like nothing and I wasn’t trying to hit the ball hard or far as in the first swing. The ball traveled as far as humanly possible. It went a very long way right down the middle. The swing was a perfect example of non doing, not “trying” to hit the ball far or well.

I’ve had the same thing happen while hitting a baseball. Trying to hit the ball far and not getting the results, then stopping taking a breath and then just swing. Resulting in my desired outcome. The swing felt like nothing.

I’ll comment more after I finish reading books on the subject and have my lesson on Wednesday.

This has happened more times, just using the ones that stick out.
When I was learning to play golf, I focused only on hitting the ball straight. I didn't try to hit it far and it didn't go far; that came in time. Subsequently, I have always hit the ball straight, I believe, due to that early mind set.

Oct 3, 2019
Who's the guy who advocated consciously trying to miss the ball and the team actually hit it better by doing so?

May 23, 2015
You can take a look at the hitting and pitching sections on this site and see a lot about what's going on. The most successful athletes are instinctual. They've figured out a way of blocking out mom and dad and coach whatever their name is.

Just get in the car and drive!

Sep 17, 2009
Question: I get it with golf where the ball and target just sit there, but in softball/baseball a pitcher is actively trying to get you out by changing things up etc....Would you consider focusing/thinking about pitch tendencies the same as visualizing the green, or is it too 'active' and likely to get you in your head? Does the method advocate see ball-hit ball or is it ok to be actively planning vs. pitcher? Or is this example exactly the benefit of the technique, ie, sublimating the mechanics/athleticism gives you the advantage of freeing your mind to focus on the next level of things? Could certainly see this being the case in sports that are more chaotic like football or basketball, with many many things going on at once.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812