Albert Pujol's Unsual Grip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
I've tried this little gig before.

Using a 50 lb punching bag I swing as fast as possible with no more grip than necessary. I get a nice loud pop.
Same thing this time, loose until point of contact, then apply force through the hands. I get a nice loud pop and bag moves.

Now, with a 6+ ounce softball there is no resistance like you get from a bag so this might prove nothing. Don't know what one might learn. But it's fun.

I also hit off of a tee (long tee) and do the same drill. 1. Nothing but speed. 2. Speed and nanosecond force at point of contact (with a kiai). The ball goes farther with 2.

Note: keep in mind that the extra force created with the kiai is not necessarily in the hands; and probably isn't.

Last edited:

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
As a result, the role of the grip isn't to provide strength at the point of contact. Instead, the role of the grip is to maximize the force of the whip that moves the bat head through the POC (and often focusing on creating strength at the POC will compromise whip, which is why many people hit better with a looser grip).

This is only when assuming that every ball hit is on the sweetest part of the sweet spot. (I still have a hard time with it though) What happens when the ball is a little bit on the hands or off the end, is a looser grip better there?

The grip evolves through the swing. There is actually a sequence within the grip, within the swing. Too much detail to actually concentrate on as a hitter, but there is a sequence within the grip during the swing.

There is a looseness to the grip during a portion of the swing, but it does firm up as well. The grip cannot stay "loose" throughout the entire swing.

I do agree with you though when you state that the role of the grip is to maximize the force of the whip that moves the bat.

May 7, 2008
DFW
This is a prime example

Of a major league player not knowing what he does when he swings. Pujols was on baseball tonight talking about how he grips the bat and he was telling Harold Reynolds that he lines his knocker knuckles up when he grips the bat.

Obviously he doesnt do that based on what your showing here and pictures I have of him from past years. I think the clip of him telling that to Harold is out on YouTube. Chris O'leary pointed it out to me and others on facebook.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
I've tried this little gig before.

Using a 50 lb punching bag I swing as fast as possible with no more grip than necessary. I get a nice loud pop.
Same thing this time, loose until point of contact, then apply force through the hands. I get a nice loud pop and bag moves.

Now, with a 6+ ounce softball there is no resistance like you get from a bag so this might prove nothing. Don't know what one might learn. But it's fun.

I also hit off of a tee (long tee) and do the same drill. 1. Nothing but speed. 2. Speed and nanosecond force at point of contact (with a kiai). The ball goes farther with 2.

Note: keep in mind that the extra force created with the kiai is not necessarily in the hands; and probably isn't.

The physics of the collisions you describe might be different than a collision lasting half a millisecond.

Just saying. I was hoping a real physicist would have weighed in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812