Alabama high school softball "outside participation rule"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2013
I would seriously look into playing across statelines, Bamadad. I really don't see how Alabama can regulate you if you are playing in Florida. Besides, that I figure you are only an hour and half away from the beach (at most) and you can get some peir fishing in while she is playing/practicing or waiting to do either!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
The problem for me isn't as much that we can't play games it's that we can't even practice. Only one-on-one training is a possibility. It is hard to keep the skills sharp for 4 months with the poor quality of practice and training my daughter is getting with her high school.

There are ways around that in TN. The rule says "no game simulations". Double checking with TSSAA, I found DD could practice hitting off a pitcher, but not run the bases. She could run the bases, but not have a defender attempt a put out. She can field all she wants, as long as no runner is on. Catchers and pitchers can work. Pitchers and hitters can work, again no base running.

You just have to change your "normal" practice routines, but they still can be productive and legal.

Mar 26, 2013
I would seriously look into playing across statelines, Bamadad. I really don't see how Alabama can regulate you if you are playing in Florida. Besides, that I figure you are only an hour and half away from the beach (at most) and you can get some peir fishing in while she is playing/practicing or waiting to do either!
Playing out of state doesn't get around the HS regulations - they require participants adhere to their rules regardless of where they're playing. For example, HS teams still have to abide by their assn's rules when they play out of state.

Jun 1, 2013
Playing out of state doesn't get around the HS regulations - they require participants adhere to their rules regardless of where they're playing. For example, HS teams still have to abide by their assn's rules when they play out of state.

I am not talking about an Alabama team playing across state lines. I am talking about a player crossing state lines and registering as a Florida player under ASA or UTrips and playing for a Florida based team.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I am not talking about an Alabama team playing across state lines. I am talking about a player crossing state lines and registering as a Florida player under ASA or UTrips and playing for a Florida based team.

Are you saying play for the HS in BAMA, and play TB in Florida? That the AL rules are only for "in-state" play? Because that's not how it works. If my DD is registered under a TSSAA roster, even if she flew to Japan to play an independent game, it's a violation of the TSSAA rules, she AND the team would be punished.

Mar 26, 2013
I understood that. The HS state assn's have their rules and it doesn't matter where you break them. It's not a jurisdiction issue.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Are you saying play for the HS in BAMA, and play TB in Florida? That the AL rules are only for "in-state" play? Because that's not how it works. If my DD is registered under a TSSAA roster, even if she flew to Japan to play an independent game, it's a violation of the TSSAA rules, she AND the team would be punished.

FWIW - The HS Softball seasons for Florida and Alabama run concurrently in the Spring. TB teams in Florida seeking competition during HS season often head North to Georgia where they play HS ball in the Fall. However, it looks like this may be a moot point since it appears that the powers to be in Alabama have quashed any TB opportunity for your DD if she continues to play HS ball.

Apr 7, 2014
What makes the rule in Alabama so egregious is that it totally eliminates a players ability to take part in any softball activity, anywhere that involves more then a single player with a single instructor. I am told that two girls from our area, not our school, were in Florida during spring break and were invited to come play for a team made up of girls that just picked up together at the last minute. Of course word got back to somebody in Alabama and when it was all said and done these girl were ruled ineligible for the remainder of the high school season. If this is true then state lines make no difference. Imagine what would happen if all the girls in a particular state with this rule, that are good enough and can afford to play travel ball, decided to forego the high school team and only play travel ball. I can imagine a rule change taking place quickly.

Jun 24, 2013
On a SB forum where the kids play SB it is easy to keep looking at this on how it affects SB. I would be surprised if they even care. Now if the baseball stopped playing, then you might see some changes. I am sure some baseball players make the decision not to play HS because of these rules. And basketball players.

(Now cheerleading is different, there are a lot of specific references to cheerleading. They must be good a lobbying for their sport)

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
On a SB forum where the kids play SB it is easy to keep looking at this on how it affects SB. I would be surprised if they even care. Now if the baseball stopped playing, then you might see some changes. I am sure some baseball players make the decision not to play HS because of these rules. And basketball players.

(Now cheerleading is different, there are a lot of specific references to cheerleading. They must be good a lobbying for their sport)

In Central Florida and probably elsewhere, HS baseball is a very different animal than HS softball. Baseball games are packed and college and MLB scouts are regularly behind the backstop. So in terms of recruitment, HS baseball is a worthwhile endeavor. Where softball is definitely a bottom tier sport.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28