Alabama high school softball "outside participation rule"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My comments taken out of context had to do with more than just HS softball. It appears you have become desensitized to loss of personal freedom. It is increasingly the norm in many states. I escaped years ago and never looked back.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My comments taken out of context had to do with more than just HS softball. It appears you have become desensitized to loss of personal freedom. It is increasingly the norm in many states. I escaped years ago and never looked back.

I try to keep politics out of this forum. I am a Conservative and if you knew who I was and my family, you would know that I am not desensitized. In fact, my family is infamous on a national level regarding our beliefs. Still, to blame this on government is giving authority to the public sector that does not have to be granted. TAKE YOUR CHILD OFF OF THE TEAM. It can't be more simple than that.

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
You a absolutely have a choice. If you don't like the HS rules don't play school ball. It is your choice.

This brings up my question. Do college coaches care that much if you don't play HS ball?? My DD absolutely hates it, she doesn't like the girls, the coach, any of it and just wants to stick to travel, but we can't think of a valid reason when the college coach of her dreams asks "why didn't you play school ball?" we can't really say "I hated the coach" LOL!

Jun 24, 2013
I do not think it matters if a player plays H.S. ball anymore. It is a plus on the resume if she plays for a good school, same as if they play for a good TB Team.

Apr 7, 2014
My DD's middle school is sanctioned. She can have no contact with her travel team during school ball season. We play under the Ohio High School (OHSSA) rules except pitching distance is 40 feet.

Bamadad, Ohio has the additional rule that no more than 4 girls from the same school can play on the same Travelball team.

Alabama has separate rule that limits the number of players from a high school teams on a single TB team to no more than 5.

Apr 7, 2014
I was presented with a copy of the rule I posted in my original message by the high school principle. When I asked why this had become an issue this season he made a comment that really rubbed me the wrong way. His explanation for the rule was that the Alabama High School Athletic Association was concerned about travel ball coaches taking advantage of players promising them college scholarships. I couldn't help myself and laughed out loud. That is my common reaction when someone tries to tell me a lie. It's the high school coaches that had this rule put in place to stop their players from playing travel ball during the season. These coaches did not like the idea of having to compete with better coaching and training that their kids were getting from "professional" travel ball coaches. The facts are that the better players would always choose to play for better teams with better coaches if that option was available to them. I am sure that there have been high school coaches that abused their kids by doing things like you say but in Alabama the opposite is true. The level of practice that my daughter gets from her travel ball coach is far, far superior to anything her high school coaches provide.

Apr 7, 2014
In Alabama there is a limit of 24 regular season games and 5 weekend tournaments, of course this doesn't include any post season playoff tournaments that are all controlled by the Alabama High School Athletic Association. We usually play a maximum of three games a week and most weeks we only have 2 high school games. For us playing a weekend TB tournament would be no problem.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I was presented with a copy of the rule I posted in my original message by the high school principle. When I asked why this had become an issue this season he made a comment that really rubbed me the wrong way. His explanation for the rule was that the Alabama High School Athletic Association was concerned about travel ball coaches taking advantage of players promising them college scholarships. I couldn't help myself and laughed out loud. That is my common reaction when someone tries to tell me a lie. It's the high school coaches that had this rule put in place to stop their players from playing travel ball during the season. These coaches did not like the idea of having to compete with better coaching and training that their kids were getting from "professional" travel ball coaches. The facts are that the better players would always choose to play for better teams with better coaches if that option was available to them. I am sure that there have been high school coaches that abused their kids by doing things like you say but in Alabama the opposite is true. The level of practice that my daughter gets from her travel ball coach is far, far superior to anything her high school coaches provide.

If you HS coach and program are so pathetic then why are you keeping her on the team?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
This brings up my question. Do college coaches care that much if you don't play HS ball?? My DD absolutely hates it, she doesn't like the girls, the coach, any of it and just wants to stick to travel, but we can't think of a valid reason when the college coach of her dreams asks "why didn't you play school ball?" we can't really say "I hated the coach" LOL!

Nationally it won't matter at all, local colleges it has some small influence but TB is still the main road.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face

HS ball is pretty much "run what you brung". Since you only get 1 month of practice, instruction is minimal. A coach is just basically "managing" what talent his/her ( for OILF ) players bring from previous experience.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28