Alabama high school softball "outside participation rule"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
I just don't get how some are against these types of rules. When in the world would you find time, and the energy, to do both? From mid March to mid May we play 50 games, and that's varsity alone. Non-game days, we're practicing 2-3 hours. I love ball probably more than most, but I couldn't imagine running our HS schedule and a travel at the same time.

Depending on your location and quality of school some teams only play 16-20 games on Varsity. My DD's MS team had their 3rd game of the season rained out today and unsure if they will reschedule and with only an 11 game schedule to start we are down to 8 weekday games. This is just like little league. We play travel and start tournaments this weekend, the more games she can get to close the gap with the weather fortunate places the better.

Mar 26, 2013
CA does not allow HS athletes to compete with an outside team during their season of sport. Some sections also bar them from practicing (e.g. San Diego), but our Southern Section does not. Our HS season started with the first games on 3/1 and DD's TB team had their first practice during HS season on 3/30 with 4 more scheduled every 2 weeks.

Jun 24, 2013
You are right about Georgia rules:

There is no state regulation prohibiting "dual participation" on the part of a student. The high school coach may not be involved in the non-school program, however. A local school may impose a rule prohibiting dual participation.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Everyone does understand the rule is in place to protect the athlete, not punish. Many moon ago highly competitive HS coaches here would require his/her athletes to play organized ball along with HS, those schedules were pretty grueling. Since March 11th, our HS has played exactly 25 games, that's intense enough without adding in the possibility of TB. The body does need rest to rebuild and repair. Most rules are put in place because of only a few who abuse freedom.

While it is convenient to rationalize the surrender of personal freedoms, and abdicate your role of as a parent for the collective good, that is a very slippery slope from which there is no return. It is very disturbing that the State is making decisions about what a student may or may not do outside the prevue of the school. But much more disturbing is those who accept and even relish intrusion.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
While it is convenient to rationalize the surrender of personal freedoms, and abdicate your role of as a parent for the collective good, that is a very slippery slope from which there is no return. It is very disturbing that the State is making decisions about what a student may or may not do outside the prevue of the school. But much more disturbing is those who accept and even relish intrusion.

You don't have to preach to me about about intrusion, I'm a conservative. :) There are MANY state and federal regulations I don't agree with, but as someone who works for the Fed I realize most of those regulations are in place because a minority ( small group ) has abused "freedoms". In this instance it was implemented because a few power hungry HS coaches were forcing players to play for them exclusively year round. ( I don't agree with that either )

I'm not sure any personal freedoms have been violated, as playing for a school in TN is not mandatory. You know the rules ahead of time, and choose to abide by them or pass. Many HS's have rules about how athletes conduct themselves after hours, that too could be considered intrusion.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
You don't have to preach to me about about intrusion, I'm a conservative. :) There are MANY state and federal regulations I don't agree with, but as someone who works for the Fed I realize most of those regulations are in place because a minority ( small group ) has abused "freedoms". In this instance it was implemented because a few power hungry HS coaches were forcing players to play for them exclusively year round. ( I don't agree with that either )

I'm not sure any personal freedoms have been violated, as playing for a school in TN is not mandatory. You know the rules ahead of time, and choose to abide by them or pass. Many HS's have rules about how athletes conduct themselves after hours, that too could be considered intrusion.

On it face it seems obvious that these rules are more about protecting the domain of the High School sports activity than protecting the student-athlete from possible excessive activity. Were it about protecting the student ALL participation in athletic activity outside of the school activity would be prohibited. The concept that it is there to protect the student fails when 1 sport is forbidden because it is "in-season" but they are free to compete in any other sport during the season. Do not kid yourself these rules are all about preventing the encroachment of TB and keeping HS softball viable.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Not sure if GA has an official rule, but all of our TB teams pretty much shut down during the HS season, which is in the fall.

Feb 7, 2013
Do not kid yourself these rules are all about preventing the encroachment of TB and keeping HS softball viable.

With TB practicing and playing practically year-round nowadays, maybe its a good thing that players can get a break form TB, play with classmates, and school pride. It's only for a couple of months out of the year, don't really see it as my "freedoms" are being taken away. Conversely, having school ball fold eliminates my kids "freedom" to play school ball.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
On it face it seems obvious that these rules are more about protecting the domain of the High School sports activity than protecting the student-athlete from possible excessive activity. Were it about protecting the student ALL participation in athletic activity outside of the school activity would be prohibited. The concept that it is there to protect the student fails when 1 sport is forbidden because it is "in-season" but they are free to compete in any other sport during the season. Do not kid yourself these rules are all about preventing the encroachment of TB and keeping HS softball viable.

I didn't know that the HS sports world revolves around softball and its preservation.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
With TB practicing and playing practically year-round nowadays, maybe its a good thing that players can get a break form TB, play with classmates, and school pride. It's only for a couple of months out of the year, don't really see it as my "freedoms" are being taken away. Conversely, having school ball fold eliminates my kids "freedom" to play school ball.

I would personally like to see a free market where both TB and HS function on their own merits and not to the state sponsored exclusion of one over the other. If you want to play HS ball, by all means you should do that. If you want to play TB that should be an option also. Likewise if you want to do both, that should be your choice. If a TB or HS coach has an exclusionary rule that is certainly their prerogative and the free market will respond, or not. However, the idea that the intent of the rule, implemented at the state level is to protect the student athlete simply does not wash. Were that the case no outside participation in ANY sport would be permitted. I know many players that play HS ball and also skateboard, jump from perfectly good running airplanes, surf, and whatever and the coaches do not take issue. But TB, you can't be doing that!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse