Alabama high school softball "outside participation rule"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 2, 2013
Exactly what I'm saying. One player. I'm not saying its impossible but to advise people here that just playing HS will get you recruited on talent is basically irresponsible. If you want to play for a local D2/D3 or even local D1; the HS only route might work if the player is talented... but should not be given as the recommended route for those talented enough to play in college. Its absolutely ridiculous.

I am not giving advice, but telling a true story.

Why it bothers you so much, and the travel folks of the same, is beyond me.

So we saved thousands of dollars, never paid for a hitting lesson, have offers on the table and are having a blast with the wonderful game of high school softball.

Can you be happy for us? and accept the fact that talent does indeed trump all. We are quite pleased and in the midst of a super competitive late high school season push, with the newspapers ramping up the features, and the whole town coming out to see the fun.

My DD learned the bulk of her skill set through baseball. Outworked the vast majority of very young ladies from 4 through 12 years of age against the boys. It has served her well. More so than anything travel softball did for her. That is a completely different discussion. Can you accept that being a super hard worker when very young in hardball, has earned her the opportunities she has now in softball? and not travel softball?

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2009
IL
My DD learned the bulk of her skill set through baseball. Outworked the vast majority of very young ladies from 4 through 12 years of age against the boys. It has served her well. More so than anything travel softball did for her. That is a completely different discussion. Can you accept that being a super hard worker when very young in hardball, has earned her the opportunities she has now in softball? and not travel softball?

When one has a lot of time and money invested in something (i.e. travel ball), it has a way of influencing how they think.

Not that I don't like travel ball, I do, but it's not the end all be all for everyone.

Apr 13, 2014
Ozark, Alabama
As a High School Coach from Alabama I have a lot of problems with the AHSAA. I can tell you that some schools can totally ignore these rules and the high and honorable men from Montgomery just look the other way.

Jul 2, 2013
When one has a lot of time and money invested in something (i.e. travel ball), it has a way of influencing how they think.

Not that I don't like travel ball, I do, but it's not the end all be all for everyone.

My message has been consistent throughout, when endless folks come on here asking what should we do? so and so is the best travel org. and is promising the moon.

My answer has always been the same. Do what will make your DD a better ball player ... period. Usually that is what your DD "wants" to do. Most likely it is best to go with a qualified coach who is a "champion" for your DD. In the end, if your DD is good enough, there are literally thousands of scouts who will find her.

Trumping up your DD's game with super powerful travel orgs., creating a super resume with all the bells and whistles, and spending thousands of dollars are a recipe for disaster. Though she may get that initial big offer from a big time D1, she will wash out of that program because she is not as good as advertised.

Why is it that the big D1's can offer 12 freshman scholarships each year. Because they know from experience that 1/2 of those are completely fluffed up by big time travel orgs. At the end of the season, maybe 6 make it to their sophomore year, Check the rosters, you will see it. Buying a scholarship can be a mistake. Earning one with talent is always the best.

It is a business. It is brutal. Spend your money wisely.

Be true to yourself. Spend your time and money on qualified coaches who truly care for your DD. Do not buy a pig in a poke. It will not end well. Even if you can tell your neighbors and friends your DD got offered by the best D1 around (soon to wash out).

The TALENT is always the key ... and finding the right fit.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My message has been consistent throughout, when endless folks come on here asking what should we do? so and so is the best travel org. and is promising the moon.

My answer has always been the same. Do what will make your DD a better ball player ... period. Usually that is what your DD "wants" to do. Most likely it is best to go with a qualified coach who is a "champion" for your DD. In the end, if your DD is good enough, there are literally thousands of scouts who will find her.

Trumping up your DD's game with super powerful travel orgs., creating a super resume with all the bells and whistles, and spending thousands of dollars are a recipe for disaster. Though she may get that initial big offer from a big time D1, she will wash out of that program because she is not as good as advertised.

Why is it that the big D1's can offer 12 freshman scholarships each year. Because they know from experience that 1/2 of those are completely fluffed up by big time travel orgs. At the end of the season, maybe 6 make it to their sophomore year, Check the rosters, you will see it. Buying a scholarship can be a mistake. Earning one with talent is always the best.

Be true to yourself. Spend your time and money on qualified coaches who truly care for your DD. Do not buy a pig in a poke. It will not end well. Even if you can tell your neighbors and friends your DD got offered by the best D1 around (soon to wash out).

If it were only that simple fewer players would wash out in the first year. TALENT is the easiest of all recruit attributes to evaluate. The truth is that for many reasons there is a high attrition rate in the first year across all levels of play. The failure to live up to the expectations with regard to TALENT is only one of the reasons players wash out. TALENT may get you the ride, but keeping the ride requires much more than TALENT to make it through all 4 years.

Mar 26, 2013

My answer has always been the same. Do what will make your DD a better ball player ... period. Usually that is what your DD "wants" to do. Most likely it is best to go with a qualified coach who is a "champion" for your DD. In the end, if your DD is good enough, there are literally thousands of scouts (especially travel coaches) who will find her.

Trumping up your DD's game with super powerful travel orgs., creating a super resume with all the bells and whistles, and spending thousands of dollars are a recipe for disaster. If the top travel orgs recruit you, you've got the talent. Without that confirmation, spending your DD's college funds chasing a scholarship is a recipe for disaster. Though she may get that initial big offer from a big time D1, she will wash out of that program because she is not as good as advertised. Actually, it's the players that chose the school for the wrong reasons and aren't prepared for the academics, level of competition and/or amount of work.

Why is it that the big D1's can offer 12 freshman scholarships each year. This is a great example of you losing credibility by over exagerrating because the norm is 5-6 players. Show me a major D1 state school with an oversized recruiting class and I'll show you one with only a few recruits getting significant scholarships and a bunch of in-state kids not getting much, if anything. Show me a lesser private school that regularly has oversized recruiting classes and I'll show you a coach getting bonuses for recruiting additional paying students. Because they know from experience that 1/2 of those are completely fluffed up by big time travel orgs. At the end of the season, maybe 6 make it to their sophomore year, Check the rosters, you will see it. There is a high rate of attrition overall (e.g. 25%) and the rate in softball is well below your exagerrated 50% rate. Buying a scholarship can be a mistake. Earning one with talent is always the best.

Be true to yourself. Spend your time and money on qualified coaches who truly care for your DD. Do not buy a pig in a poke. It will not end well (i.e. do your research). Even if you can tell your neighbors and friends your DD got offered by the best D1 around (soon to wash out).

You make good points (see bold). Unfortunately, you lose credibility by stretching the truth and mixing in BS.

I underscored your recommendations about playing for qualified coaches. I agree good coaches are extremely important because they develop players, have a well-run team and/or help their players get recruited.

Your constant bashing of "powerful travel orgs" is due to the bad experience you had with one. As I recall, your DD was recruited to play for them, so that speaks well for her. Unfortunately, not all teams in these orgs are run by qualified coaches, so YMMV. Bad experiences generally boil down to a combination of one side not delivering and the other side having unrealistic expectations.

Travel coaches are the primary scouts that identify players under the radar. If they're good enough to improve their team, they'll recruit them. If not, they'll raise their visibility by talking about them. Established TB coaches are a major scouting resource for college coaches because they are the most knowledgeable about the top talent in their area and they have a track record with numerous colleges.

I questioned an earlier post of yours, but you never responded (see Post #169). I take that as an admission that you spouted BS.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
We finally had our first 2 games of the year. When we got to the first game one of the other parents came up and told us the local College HC was at the game and was asking about my dd. I know he watched a couple of TB games she was in when she was a Freshman. So I guess its true that local college coaches do go to HS games.

She has no intention of playing college softball, but its nice to know that people (other then me), think she could if she wanted.

Dec 29, 2010
If it were only that simple fewer players would wash out in the first year. TALENT is the easiest of all recruit attributes to evaluate. The truth is that for many reasons there is a high attrition rate in the first year across all levels of play. The failure to live up to the expectations with regard to TALENT is only one of the reasons players wash out. TALENT may get you the ride, but keeping the ride requires much more than TALENT to make it through all 4 years.

We went to the Hofstra camp last year. The team spoke to the girls. They describe their days being a student/athelte. Its a lot of work. Sometimes up to 5 hours a day on dedicated to just softball not counting your studies. You can have all the talent in the world, you still need heart, determination, work ethic and being able to set aside your ego to play in college.

Jun 24, 2013
We finally had our first 2 games of the year. When we got to the first game one of the other parents came up and told us the local College HC was at the game and was asking about my dd. I know he watched a couple of TB games she was in when she was a Freshman. So I guess its true that local college coaches do go to HS games.

She has no intention of playing college softball, but its nice to know that people (other then me), think she could if she wanted.

Oh by the way, I will stick this on page 19 so no one notices. Nothing to about the topic either. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse