Alabama high school softball "outside participation rule"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
The other things folks fail to realize is how close the coaching community is. Though usually the coaches coming to our games are an hour away, what they say to their fellow coaches a continent away is what gets them the spot. How else does our little state get big time players from CA. Because of that local college coach in CA, at high school games, looking for that kid the big time colleges in the area has overlooked. And reporting it to their buddy east of the Mississippi.
I call BS on this. I'm familiar with the "big time players" committed to USC and they were recruited by USC based on TB, not from reports of HS games. Who are the other "big time players" and colleges? Which CA college coaches are scouting HS games for SoCar colleges? College coaches do network and help each other out - especially the ones with limited recruiting budgets - but that is more often with non-CA coaches they know that are at TB events.

The biggest local resource for remote college coaches is local TB coaches they trust for info on other TB teams' players. The TB coaches that are very successful at helping players get recruited have networks of college contacts and frequently help players on other teams.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
SoCal_Dad: To your point a significant number of my conversations with college coaches are about TB players that do not play for me. If the kid has the goods and a great attitude I will do all I can for them.

Mar 26, 2013
I see college coaches at our high school softball games all the time. Usually dressed incognito. Maybe even stay in their car. Pretending to be a fan. Once you know who they are, and there are a bunch of them, and know what to look for ... you see them. I seriously doubt it is called an evaluation day.
... (Along with that, would they burn a recruiting day to see a singular player)? ...

Watching HS softball games does not count against evaluation days. Here's the reg from the NCAA Div-I Manual.

13.1.7.11 Evaluation Days—Softball. In softball, each institution is limited to 50 evaluation days (measured August 1 through July 31) per Bylaw 13.02.7.2, which do not include employment of coaches in instructional camps/clinics or the observation of prospective student-athletes participating in high school softball competition.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Watching HS softball games does not count against evaluation days. Here's the reg from the NCAA Div-I Manual.

13.1.7.11 Evaluation Days—Softball. In softball, each institution is limited to 50 evaluation days (measured August 1 through July 31) per Bylaw 13.02.7.2, which do not include employment of coaches in instructional camps/clinics or the observation of prospective student-athletes participating in high school softball competition.

SoCal D, now that you are providing the actual rule to the masses, you are making it harder for the college coaches to get away with some of the excuses they may use when they really aren't interested in a player but don't have the cajones to come right out and say it!

Oct 18, 2009
So to directly answer your question ... ONE, my DD. It is possible, but only because of the level of her play.

Exactly what I'm saying. One player. I'm not saying its impossible but to advise people here that just playing HS will get you recruited on talent is basically irresponsible. If you want to play for a local D2/D3 or even local D1; the HS only route might work if the player is talented... but should not be given as the recommended route for those talented enough to play in college. Its absolutely ridiculous.

Mar 26, 2013
SoCal D, now that you are providing the actual rule to the masses, you are making it harder for the college coaches to get away with some of the excuses they may use when they really aren't interested in a player but don't have the cajones to come right out and say it!
IMO, it's stupid to make up a rule instead of just saying their schedule in season doesn't allow them to see many HS games. It's too easy to get caught and then they're regarded as ignorant or untrustworthy.

Experienced coaches shouldn't have any problem in gracefully informing people they're not interested. Evading the issue just delays the inevitable.

Sorry to hear you've run across some coaches like that.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
IMO, it's stupid to make up a rule instead of just saying their schedule in season doesn't allow them to see many HS games. It's too easy to get caught and then they're regarded as ignorant or untrustworthy.

Experienced coaches shouldn't have any problem in gracefully informing people they're not interested. Evading the issue just delays the inevitable.

Fortunately, most are pretty direct and also appreciate it when players are forthright about interest or lack thereof, too!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

Is it possible that this rule has been amended in the recent past? That may explain what appears to be pretty widespread confusion.

Mar 26, 2013
Is it possible that this rule has been amended in the recent past? That may explain what appears to be pretty widespread confusion.
That rule hasn't changed since it went into effect 8/1/99 - (Adopted: 1/12/99 effective 8/1/99, Revised: 6/8/99). There is no excuse for a Div-I college softball coach to not know it because that is where the 50-day limit is specified. Div-II and Div-III don't have limits.

I expect most of the confusion for others is due to only looking at the definition for Evaluation. It's possible some others had prior experience with another sport's different rules.

13.02.7 Evaluation. Evaluation is any off-campus activity designed to assess the academic qualifications or athletics ability of a prospective student-athlete, including any visit to a prospective student-athlete’s educational institution (during which no contact occurs) or the observation of a prospective student-athlete participating in any practice or competition at any site. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/91, 1/11/94 effective 8/1/94)

Watching a HS game falls under the definition of Evaluation, but it doesn't count against softball's 50-day limit for Evaluation Days.

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Plain and simple, it is a self-serving BS rule.

It is not their time, it is your time. And YOU are paying them, not the other way around as they seem to think. Do what you please and if that means participating with another team, so be it. They are not going to chase the carrot through HS ball, so priorities have to be set by the player.

Tell the coaches to pound sand and force them to take any action. If the better players choose to dedicate themselves to a travel ball team and the coaches try to take a stand, they will coach themselves right out of a job. HS ball is supposed to be physical recreation, not professional ball.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23