Air Travel Help!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 31, 2011
Can anyone give advice on the most economical way to travel by air concerning equipment?

Oldest DD is playing in Orlando in October. Last year a parent drove and took everyone's bat bag plus other equipment. This year we have to figure out the best/most economical way. Her head coach asked me to post this.

With a lot of teams getting back from Nationals in the last month or so, any suggestions to save a few bucks? I think the team is going to pay for one set of catching gear & they will share. I appreciate any advice you can give.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
So, you have flown before, right? And you know to carry as much stuff on as possible, including glove and her uniform. So, to try and cut down on the $50.00 per bag fee, is the problem. I had to go to a wedding recently and we sent our dress clothes on, by UPS. It cost just as much, but we didn't have to handle the additional bags. So, I might ship stuff like sweat shirts on ahead. You know if you don't bring them, it is going to be cold.

I guess you could limit the girls to one bat and then, girls could share one bat bag. If you could cut down on the number of bat bags, that would help. Or tell the girls "one bag" period. Then, they put their bat in their bag and all of their clothes.

I needed my bats at a funeral recently (don't ask) so, I just packed my clothes in my bat bag.

Some airlines don't charge for the first bag, but I am thinking you must be on American or one that does.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Often companies that ship a lot get preferred rates from UPS or FedEX. Throw it out to the team and see if a parent works for a company like that. Sometimes they will ship it if you reimburse them the costs. We used to overnight on FedEX for around 5 dollars to give you an idea.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
We have flown a few times over the last couple of years, metal cleats and bats have always been the issue...

When travelling with the team, all bats and metal cleats to into one bag to be checked. When travelling alone you just have to bite the bullet and check a bag.

Either way, make sure that everything needed to play, except bats and cleats are in carry on. (1 uniform, glove, etc.) That way, if the checked bag gets lost the team can still play their first game after buying some cleats.

Jan 31, 2011
Thanks for your help. Yes, we flew last time, but one parent drove so she took all the equipment in her minivan. I decided to bite the bullet this time and pay for my DD's batbag. Its about $50 round trip so I can live with that. We were discussing catching equipment and team equipment as a possible problem. I will see if our hotel would allow us to ship it to them ahead of time. I also suggested the catchers "share" one set of gear, but that did not go over well. :)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Thanks for your help. Yes, we flew last time, but one parent drove so she took all the equipment in her minivan. I decided to bite the bullet this time and pay for my DD's batbag. Its about $50 round trip so I can live with that. We were discussing catching equipment and team equipment as a possible problem. I will see if our hotel would allow us to ship it to them ahead of time. I also suggested the catchers "share" one set of gear, but that did not go over well. :)

As a former catcher, I'd share toothbrushes before sharing catching gear!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812