Age to throw Drop Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2011
My DD is 10 years old and has one more year of 10u left, but made an all area team for 12u next year. She throws 44-46mph fastballs and has a good change up with two speeds. My question is it too early for her to throw a drop ball. Based on the competition she will be facing next year (14u local house league and traveling 12u tournaments with this team) I think she might need a drop ball, but don't want to start it too early if it might effect her arm at that age?

Thanks much everyone!!

Mar 22, 2011
Thanks for the reply Amy. Any other pitches she would start to learn at this age. She is a 5'2" 5th grader with fingers as long as most grown ups already.

Apr 13, 2010
I think it depends on the coach. My daughter started with hers at first year 12U and has learned a flip change, Screwball, and Rollover Drop. The coach mentioned the curve ball last night so she might learn that this offseason. I'd be happy with continuing to improve the ones she has for now.

If you're DD has nice 12-6 spin on her fastball a peel drop would be easy to learn/do. Mine has never had that nice 12-6 spin on hers so we never went that route.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
My DD started to learn a peel drop and a change since she was 8 and has thrown them in games since she was 9 with a good amount of success.

Mar 25, 2011
Well, I may be understimating the talent pool where you live, but at that age bracket, I would think stronger command of those two pitches would do alot more than trying to add a third pitch. Sure, it's always good to get your feet wet, and all... but at the same time, command (quality) means so much more than quantity. If she can throw her 3 pitches to all 4 areas consistently (let's just say 60% of the time)...meaning you put your glove to a spot and she hits that spot within 3-4", I feel like she has pretty good command.

So, if she can command the zone, then have fun!

May 5, 2008
Definitely not too early! My DD pitched mostly at age 10-13 and throw basically a "fastball", peel drop, and change. Thatʻs it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45