AFX Gear

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2016
Anyone have this gear? Looking for sizing answers about the chest protector. I bought the Evoshield chest and my daughter doesn’t care for it. For that price I’m not keeping it if she doesn’t like it. We ordered the 13.5” and it was too small anyway. I want to try the AFX and I’m not sure what size to get. I know different companies have different sizes. The small says 15.5”. I’m wondering if that will be too small. I was going to get the medium but it says 16.5”. That ‘sounds’ big.

May 23, 2015
All Star makes quality gear.. Its impossible to fit catchers gear over the internet but I would get both if you're concerned. They all measure and fit differently, so what works for me doesn't work for you.

You want chest gear to be relatively small and form fitting while in stance. Not like loose rec gear. The bottom of the chest protector should not go below the belly button. You want it to look like a fat guy wearing a baby shirt

Jun 24, 2016
All Star makes quality gear.. Its impossible to fit catchers gear over the internet but I would get both if you're concerned. They all measure and fit differently, so what works for me doesn't work for you.

You want chest gear to be relatively small and form fitting while in stance. Not like loose rec gear. The bottom of the chest protector should not go below the belly button. You want it to look like a fat guy wearing a baby shirt

Thanks! Yea, that’s exactly how her current chest protector fits...like a small tshirt. It just stinks how the sizes from each company vary. She currently has a 13” Schutt. That’s kind of like their “medium” size. I can’t find the AFX anywhere except the All Star site. I don’t think they have free shipping on returns but I do agree. My best bet is to get the small and medium and see which one fits best.

Thanks again.

May 23, 2015
Thanks! Yea, that’s exactly how her current chest protector fits...like a small tshirt. It just stinks how the sizes from each company vary. She currently has a 13” Schutt. That’s kind of like their “medium” size. I can’t find the AFX anywhere except the All Star site. I don’t think they have free shipping on returns but I do agree. My best bet is to get the small and medium and see which one fits best.

Thanks again.
Call All Star to confirm but I believe they send out a free return label with every shipment. I do a lot of business with them but never returned anything

May 23, 2015
I just looked at a recent order I placed for several Vela sets , not afx and they order says they're 14.5in. Again that doesn't mean much regarding fit, but thats a starting point

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Often mixing gear brands to find a good fit is neccessary.
Notice about half wear mix of brands.

Shins in one brand fit but helmet doesnt.
Chest protector good, shins not.
Type of thing.

Find a good fit takes looking and trying on.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020
Anyone have this gear? Looking for sizing answers about the chest protector. I bought the Evoshield chest and my daughter doesn’t care for it. For that price I’m not keeping it if she doesn’t like it. We ordered the 13.5” and it was too small anyway. I want to try the AFX and I’m not sure what size to get. I know different companies have different sizes. The small says 15.5”. I’m wondering if that will be too small. I was going to get the medium but it says 16.5”. That ‘sounds’ big.
Hi there! My name is Jo, and I work in the Fastpitch Division at All-Star. I would be happy to help you in sizing your daughter for a chest protector within the AFx product line. The top of the chest protector was designed to sit along a player's collarbone and wrap around a player's shoulders. The bottom of the chest protector was designed to sit along a player's hip bone. For both of those reasons, the sizing is a little different - especially when comparing it to other brands.

To measure, find the top of the player's hip bone and bring it over to the mid-line. In inches, measure from that mid-line point to the indent at the top of the sternum. Our 16.5" medium chest protector is our most popular size.

If you're worried about ordering the wrong size, here is our return/exchange policy.

I hope this information helps you make a decision!

Jun 24, 2016
Hi there! My name is Jo, and I work in the Fastpitch Division at All-Star. I would be happy to help you in sizing your daughter for a chest protector within the AFx product line. The top of the chest protector was designed to sit along a player's collarbone and wrap around a player's shoulders. The bottom of the chest protector was designed to sit along a player's hip bone. For both of those reasons, the sizing is a little different - especially when comparing it to other brands.

To measure, find the top of the player's hip bone and bring it over to the mid-line. In inches, measure from that mid-line point to the indent at the top of the sternum. Our 16.5" medium chest protector is our most popular size.

If you're worried about ordering the wrong size, here is our return/exchange policy.

I hope this information helps you make a decision!

Thanks! I actually already ordered both sizes and went with the small. Thanks again for your message.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28