After techinque, what makes a great hitter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Wondering what the mental discipline is that takes a hitter to the next level. What approaches to you take with your students?

- Jose Altuve - How DOES he do it?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

First minute of this video. Try to instill a calm confidence. And if you have to "fake it till you make it". Visualize success (linedrives). Plus try to get them to watch the game, pick up on pitch sequences (big ask)

Also teach them to understand that they must square up and hit the pitchers mistake. If the pitcher leaves a belt high FB over the plate it should equate to extra base hit. Good hitters don't foul back or pop up pitchers mistakes.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
Know your approach! Where do you love the ball? What’s the count? What’s the pitchers best pitch? What’s my 2-0 approach? What’s my 0-2 approach? What’s my 1-1 approach? Do I have a plan? Am I trying to do damage? Where do pitchers get me out at?

You will be amazed that most players can’t tell you where they love the ball! Just ask them the next time in BP. Start here

Oct 26, 2019
Knowing what pitch is coming and “feeling” for that pitch during the at bat. It drives me nuts when a hitter takes a good swing at a fastball and fouls it straight back or hits it hard foul to the pull side and then act surprised/fooled that the next pitch was off speed.

I remember an at bat where I swung at a first pitch curve in the dirt. I was way out front and almost spun myself over with a horrible looking swing. Well, I had just done myself a favor and insured the next pitch would be another curve. I looked for the next one and told myself to see it up in the zone and be ready. next pitch was a strike curve that I hit out of the park.

I believe Ted Williams said to hit .400 you have to be a very good pitch guesser (or something along those lines). You definitely aren’t hitting upper 90s on the inside corner if you are looking for it.

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
Knowing what pitch is coming and “feeling” for that pitch during the at bat. It drives me nuts when a hitter takes a good swing at a fastball and fouls it straight back or hits it hard foul to the pull side and then act surprised/fooled that the next pitch was off speed.

I remember an at bat where I swung at a first pitch curve in the dirt. I was way out front and almost spun myself over with a horrible looking swing. Well, I had just done myself a favor and insured the next pitch would be another curve. I looked for the next one and told myself to see it up in the zone and be ready. next pitch was a strike curve that I hit out of the park.

I believe Ted Williams said to hit .400 you have to be a very good pitch guesser (or something along those lines). You definitely aren’t hitting upper 90s on the inside corner if you are looking for it.
Ted also said, " History is made middle/in"

May 16, 2016
Illinois
That was a good Altuve video.

You can see that his timing was slightly off and out on his front leg. Incredible job keeping the hands back and driving the ball. Not easy to do for most players!

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
Me too wish I knew :) .

- 7 Things I Wish I Knew When I Started Hitting

Sep 17, 2009
IMO, and maybe this is obvious, the most critical thing is to help the hitter understand you could ask this same question in the pitching thread, ie, they are as fearful and physically and mentally challenged as you are.

Which means every at bat once the players get to a certain level is a battle. Who feels superior, physically, mentally? Who will win? This could change obviously pitcher to pitcher and batter to batter. How can a hitter *feel* like they are superior in as many match-ups as possible?

That's not the answer to *how* to accomplish this (which has many answers) but maybe a way to think about *what* should be the goal -- IMO, it's believing they can win the battle with pitcher in front of them.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariafermin279