Advice RE Recruiting, etc

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 6, 2013
I've seen it happen enough to not really classify it as rare. from the offer being rescinded due to player's social media, to coaching changes, to schools closing, it happens and people need to be aware.
Sure it happens but not enough to not verbally commit if you find the school you love which DD did. She committed to the school. She keeps her social media clean and fully understands her obligations. I also think players who are interested in D1 or D2 also be very aware of the scholarship implications of waiting as well. There is always another player looking for a spot.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Travel isn't always so good - what's the point of showcases if the schools who come are not what she's interested in - go to the school's camps and send invitations to coaches with her schedule

Not so much "showcases"...it's gaining experience playing against the best competition you can find. Ultimately, you're working to convince a college coach that your playing ability is good enough. Playing exclusively in small local tournaments or at a HS with a weak program isn't going to be a convincing argument.

Totally agree about going to the school's camp (not a multi-school cattle call) after you've introduced yourself via email. However, I'll say that going to the camps isn't enough...you need to do something there while everyone is watching. That means getting the bat off your shoulder when you see a pitch down the middle during your handful of scrimmage ABs. It means not giving up on any grounder or fly ball. It means engaging in meaningful conversation with the coaches.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I don't think this is entirely accurate. It may have been during Covid but now many - MANY 2023's are verbally committed and more announce every day via Twitter. Heck my daughter committed to UMBC in November and the coach now has 8 2023 athlete's committed and has pretty much finished up his 2023 recruiting class. Sitting back and waiting is not good advice in my opinion, especially if the player has their heart set on certain programs. There is absolutely no harm and only upside in doing research now and starting the emailing process. Definitely beginning in freshman year a player should be sending emails regularly to the programs they are interested in.

I agree 100% that doing research is a good idea. Freshmen starting to email colleges they are interested in is fine, if they are motivated to do so. IMO, 8th grade is too early. D1 schools will be targeting the junior class more heavily than D2, D3, and NAIA schools.

Jul 31, 2015
I don't think this is entirely accurate. It may have been during Covid but now many - MANY 2023's are verbally committed and more announce every day via Twitter. Heck my daughter committed to UMBC in November and the coach now has 8 2023 athlete's committed and has pretty much finished up his 2023 recruiting class.

While it's great to be "done" with recruiting early, as the player gets to relax and parents get to brag, the reality is that until the NLI is signed in November of senior year, nothing is set.

The biggest risk is that the coach leaves (e.g. Stanford de-committed 9 out of 10 players, including 4 HS seniors when Jessica Allister took over) but there are a million things that can change - academic eligibility, player interest, decision about a major, parental divorce, job transfer, finances, health, circumstances of the team and other players, scandals, a once-in-a-hundred-year pandemic, you name it - it's foolish to believe things are set before they really are.

And because things move around so much, there is a mad scramble by coaches every summer as they look to fill gaps for the upcoming year. It's a giant moving 3D chess game and we are all pawns in it. Best to commit when ready, keep performing and stay open-minded until the day of the NLI.

Committing early only benefits only one person, and it ain't you or your DD.

Aug 6, 2013
While it's great to be "done" with recruiting early, as the player gets to relax and parents get to brag, the reality is that until the NLI is signed in November of senior year, nothing is set.

The biggest risk is that the coach leaves (e.g. Stanford de-committed 9 out of 10 players, including 4 HS seniors when Jessica Allister took over) but there are a million things that can change - academic eligibility, player interest, decision about a major, parental divorce, job transfer, finances, health, circumstances of the team and other players, scandals, a once-in-a-hundred-year pandemic, you name it - it's foolish to believe things are set before they really are.

And because things move around so much, there is a mad scramble by coaches every summer as they look to fill gaps for the upcoming year. It's a giant moving 3D chess game and we are all pawns in it. Best to commit when ready, keep performing and stay open-minded until the day of the NLI.

Committing early only benefits only one person, and it ain't you or your DD.
I don't agree and that's ok. Again - when scholarship money is gone - it's gone. The money we dropped on camps was mind boggling not including the travel to go to said camps because DD doesn't want to go to college "in state". DD is still working her butt off and staying on top of her game but by committing when she did to the college that was already her #1 it took the massive pressure off of her to where she can enjoy playing without the stress of finding a roster spot at a school with a scholarship to make it affordable. Now if she was interested in going in state it might be a different story as we can bank roll (most) in state public tuition - but out of state changes things and again money dries up quick when players commit. We have seen a couple of DD's teammates wait until summer/fall of senior year and were told there was no scholarship money and "maybe next year".

Aug 6, 2013
I guess we can check in in November. So far in our experience we haven't seen any surprises the last few years for any teammates of DD. Not saying it doesn't happen (as obviously you have given an example where it does) but with the thousands of players that commit I'm guessing the number that actually sign their NLI is pretty high. Of course we always hear about the worst case scenarios while thousands of others have gone on to sign.

Jul 31, 2015
I don't agree and that's ok. Again - when scholarship money is gone - it's gone. The money we dropped on camps was mind boggling not including the travel to go to said camps because DD doesn't want to go to college "in state". DD is still working her butt off and staying on top of her game but by committing when she did to the college that was already her #1 it took the massive pressure off of her to where she can enjoy playing without the stress of finding a roster spot at a school with a scholarship to make it affordable. Now if she was interested in going in state it might be a different story as we can bank roll (most) in state public tuition - but out of state changes things and again money dries up quick when players commit. We have seen a couple of DD's teammates wait until summer/fall of senior year and were told there was no scholarship money and "maybe next year".

There is always money - always - if a team wants a player enough.
Athletic scholarship, merit scholarship, grants, "work"-study, outside sponsorship...
100% tuition, room and board, books, and a monthly stipend can be on offer right up until the first day of freshman year.

But everyone should keep in mind that there is waaaaayyyyyy more money in academics than in sports, except for football.

100 point increase on the SAT >> 100 point increase in BA

Sep 3, 2015
I think if you want to go D1 you need to play against other prospective D1 players. Which means a very competitive team. If you can’t get D1 prospects out as a pitcher, you are not a D1 prospect.

And that’s perfectly ok, there are so many great non D1 schools. Get the grades up and there will be options.

Start a YouTube channel, get all the video you can on there and link to it when you email coaches. Not high school video, TB video.

I did not know that about Iowa HS, but there’s an Iowa premier TB team that is very good. DD pitched against them last summer in KC and I’m pretty sure they were at PGF Nationals. How do those kids play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28