Advice RE Recruiting, etc

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Thank you! So hard to make such life-altering decisions at 14. I know in the end it will all work as it should but I love all the insight. Very much
appreciated!
For a talented 14yo, I'm exploring what's possible and then considering the "life-altering decisions" later. College softball might be a fit...it might not. Regardless, you probably won't regret giving her the chance to see how far she can go. Upload a video to Youtube and then post a link.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
She is in 8th grade. Do not stress about the college question right now. College coaches can't even talk to her about important stuff for more than 2 years. Her focus should be on continuing to develop her softball skills, keeping her grades as high as possible, and having fun. If she's motivated to investigate what colleges might be a fit for her, that's great, but making any kind of decision should not be on the table.

May 27, 2013
Agree with the above for the most part. Also, just cast a wide net right now and look at schools at all levels that have her interests. Biology is a degree that can be found at a good majority of schools. Definitely not a life-altering decision at this point in the game. Also, be prepared to have her interests change a few times over the next few years. That’s why you start very broad (don’t eliminate any division) and continue to narrow down as she gets older and choices become more clear.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
@bravencheese I posted this in a recent thread started by the parent of a 6th grader who was concerned about having to think about college choices in 8th grade. It applies to your DD, as well. Things to consider for the road ahead...

Unless your DD is a legit top-level D1 prospect, it's most likely that your DD won't need to make a college decision until her senior year of HS, and even then a verbal commitment isn't binding until the National Letter of Intent is signed. Most of the players I know who will be playing at mid-level D1 schools committed in the fall of their senior year. I know 2 players who committed to Oregon State (Pac 12) this past fall. One is a senior, one is a junior. Another future D1 player I know had verbally committed to one school, and the day before signing her NLI, switched her commitment after getting a last-minute offer from a preferred school.

For your 6th grader, her only softball concerns should be...
1. Have fun
2. Get better

Oct 10, 2018
She sounds very talented and on her way to a great softball career! Check out the FB group Renee Lopez Educating Parents of HS Athletes On The College Recruiting Process get her her book and Catherine Aradi's recruiting book is good too. Get film!! Even if the team doesn't travel much getting clips of her kicking butt in the circle to market herself will be invaluable. Travel isn't always so good - what's the point of showcases if the schools who come are not what she's interested in - go to the school's camps and send invitations to coaches with her schedule - if she's what they are looking for they will come to see her at some point in HS. And stay away from recruiting services!! You and your daughter can do all that they do for free and better. They will blast coaches with spammy emails and will sell your contact info to everyone. I set up a free account with NCSA under my email when my DD's MS recommended it her first year of HS ball and get so many spam emails from every crap school in the country. Check out the NCAA recruiting guidelines regarding contact periods and keep an open mind on divisions. While D1 is the dream her education is what will pay her bills after college. There are some excellent D3 schools (M.I.T., Carnegie Mellon, Univ. of Chicago) that should be considered if she has the grades. Good luck!

Jun 8, 2016
Travel isn't always so good - what's the point of showcases if the schools who come are not what she's interested in - go to the school's camps and send invitations to coaches with her schedule - if she's what they are looking for they will come to see her at some point in HS.
IMO, in 8th grade the main purpose for traveling should be to play challenging competition along with the fact that it is fun to travel to a tournament with your friends/teammates.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
@bravencheese I posted this in a recent thread started by the parent of a 6th grader who was concerned about having to think about college choices in 8th grade. It applies to your DD, as well. Things to consider for the road ahead...
I don't think this is entirely accurate. It may have been during Covid but now many - MANY 2023's are verbally committed and more announce every day via Twitter. Heck my daughter committed to UMBC in November and the coach now has 8 2023 athlete's committed and has pretty much finished up his 2023 recruiting class. Sitting back and waiting is not good advice in my opinion, especially if the player has their heart set on certain programs. There is absolutely no harm and only upside in doing research now and starting the emailing process. Definitely beginning in freshman year a player should be sending emails regularly to the programs they are interested in.

Jun 20, 2015
NOTHING ABOUT A VERBAL COMMITMENT IS BINDING, to either side. Cannot sign binding NLI until fall of Junior year. Seen multiple cases of coaching changes and new coach doesn't want verballed players. Or player gets hurt. ETC ETC.

get out there and have coaches see your younger players, emails, camps etc. Just know that nothing truly locked in until that NLI is signed.

Aug 6, 2013
NOTHING ABOUT A VERBAL COMMITMENT IS BINDING, to either side. Cannot sign binding NLI until fall of Junior year. Seen multiple cases of coaching changes and new coach doesn't want verballed players. Or player gets hurt. ETC ETC.

get out there and have coaches see your younger players, emails, camps etc. Just know that nothing truly locked in until that NLI is signed.
I'm fully aware of that and I rarely see players who have committed not sign - it has not been an issue for DD's teammates. Yes coaching changes happen and yes new coaches "may" not want players but even then what we saw of that was rare. We needed scholarship money and the longer you wait the less funding is available - in our experience in observing same teammates who commit later. It is what it is. We are fine with becoming engaged as many players are.

Jun 20, 2015
I've seen it happen enough to not really classify it as rare. from the offer being rescinded due to player's social media, to coaching changes, to schools closing, it happens and people need to be aware.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28