advice on new balls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 25, 2018
Hello all. My daughter is moving up from 11" ball to 12". The 11" balls we have been using are spongey, lop-sided, and the seams are busting. They were cheap ones from Academy. What brand would you suggest for 12" balls. What am I looking for as far as how the ball is made? Any sites to websites to check out? Thanks everyone.

Mar 4, 2018
The best softballs I have used are leather Sterling softballs. Link below. They are not what I would call cheap.

Club FastPitch Game Leather Softball | Sterling Athletics

I usually purchase Worth Dream Seams from Dicks Sporting Goods. If you purchase 12 or more balls they are 33% off, and you can use a $15 off $75 coupon if you have one. The Worth Dream Seams end up cost about $4.60 per ball with all the discount. They are quality leather balls. You will have to purchase the balls in store to use both discounts. Online won't let you combine both discounts.

Mar 1, 2016
Rawlings (rebranded Worth) dream seam, Academy practice balls, and Dicks house brand are trash. They have cork cores that break down faster than they should. I agree with Silver 2200 about Sterling balls. MacGregor and Dudley also both make a poly core ball that holds up really well. That’s what you’re looking for - poly core.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I've had good luck with USSSA and ASA game balls, regardless of manufacturer. Agree that sporting goods store house brands are trash.

I've been using Champro synthetic cover / core balls for batting practice. They hold up very well.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Bownet sells quality leather balls for $60/dozen retail. You can get that down to $52 if you are willing to buy a few dozen (need to contact one of their reps online which is pretty easy to do)

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
House brands are 99% complete and utter trash. I am a fan of leather covers also...feel they hold up better. Not the cheapest, but you do get what you pay for.
Def a Dudley Heat fan. Decker makes a good ball as well. So is the Dream seam.

A little advice is, if you can, piggy back with a local league/org (if you know anybody) when you need to buy balls...if you buy enough, shipping is free. Leagues usually
get enough. Shipping is what kills you on buying balls online.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
WarriorMike on here has some balls, er, I mean can help you out with some balls. ;-) Shoot him a msg.

Jan 22, 2011
Bownet sells quality leather balls for $60/dozen retail. You can get that down to $52 if you are willing to buy a few dozen (need to contact one of their reps online which is pretty easy to do)

I bought a dozen bownet balls while in Camarillo for Western Nationals and plan on using them heavily with my daughter's JH school team this fall to see how they hold up. Will let you know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802