Advice Needed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 20, 2012
Texas
I have a kid that is really struggling with the move up from T-Ball to coach pitch. Struggling to make contact and having a hard time with timing the pitch and is usually very late with the swing. What kinds of things can I do to help with this?

Oct 2, 2017
I have a kid that is really struggling with the move up from T-Ball to coach pitch. Struggling to make contact and having a hard time with timing the pitch and is usually very late with the swing. What kinds of things can I do to help with this?
The Most I would do at that age, Is to teach them to start moving with the backswing of the coach pitching the ball, most kids wait till the ball is almost to them to start moving their body to hit. Also and this is a big one with me. Pay attention to how the coach is pitching. Many coaches with good intention throw slow with a huge lobbing arc. This makes contact tough but also leads to bad habits being learned to hit. Try and make sure the coach is throwing fairly flat, all kids on the team will benefit from it.

Sep 17, 2009
Have the parent (if they can) play whiffle ball with them in the backyard. Hand-eye is hand-eye and confidence is all important. Plus: keep it fun.

May 12, 2016
1. Physical - every kid needs to learn proper sequence.. foundation of hitting IMO
2. Mental - every hitter needs to start their sequence on every pitch.. in order to do that, a kid needs to treat every pitch like a strike, like a ball they want to hit. I know it's just coach pitch and we are hoping they are pitching strikes.. even so kids tend to read the pitch and then start their sequence, instead of starting their sequence while reading the pitch. Based on what you are saying it sounds like the kid is loading a little too late.. probably because they are reading the pitch and then getting prepared to swing when they should be getting prepared to swing while reading the pitch. It's common when transitioning from tee ball to coach pitch

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802