Advice Needed - college freshmen - when to worry?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 31, 2015
Parents play a huge rule obviously but I am not going to sit here and say that behind every failed adult there lies a failure of parenting..sh*& happens sometimes.
Sure. There are those that have OVERCOME piss-poor and/or lack of parenting but AFAIC the #1 root cause of 99.9% of our problems in society today is PISS-POOR and/or LACK of parenting and in particular DUE TO LACK OF FATHERS which takes NOTHING away from those single mothers who have overcome that MAJOR obstacle! And contrary to popular belief, no government program can fix that problem!

Jun 8, 2016
And contrary to popular belief, no government program can fix that problem!
Good luck doing well in school if you are hungry due to no fault of your own but ok..

We probably need to stop right here as I am an academic who grew up in MA so you can probably figure out my view on such things and this is going to go in a direction not allowed on this forum..

Jan 31, 2015
Good luck doing well in school if you are hungry due to no fault of your own but ok..

We probably need to stop right here as I am an academic who grew up in MA so you can probably figure out my view on such things and this is going to go in a direction not allowed on this forum..
Again, if you can't afford to feed your children then you can't afford children.

And I'm a 1st generation college graduate who grew up in *The People's Republic of Maryland* (not very diff from MA) in a blue-collar 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom 672 sq. ft. shotgun shack housing a family of 4 on ~$30k household income and was told there's NOTHING you cannot achieve w/ hard work and putting God first which has served me and my daughter well thus far.

And contrary to popular beliefs, not ALL academics are on the left; it just seems that way. ;-)

Cheers!

Jun 8, 2016
Again, if you can't afford to feed your children then you can't afford children.
That is nice in theory..are your proposing castration? Otherwise there are children who are hungry through no fault of their own and they need to be cared for by somebody which to me seems like a very Christian thing to do......

Jan 31, 2015
That is nice in theory..are your proposing castration?
No. Just *delayed gratification*.

FWIW, my wife and I were together 17 years (11 married) BEFORE WE DECIDED to have our daughter.

The SINGLE greatest *root cause* of poverty is not *systemic* anything; it's having one or more children BEFORE you can afford them.

Jun 8, 2016
No. Just *delayed gratification*.
Again nice in theory..As an FYI I dated my wife for 10 years before I proposed to her and we had my daughter 14 years after we started dating so..

Anyway this is off topic and I generally try to stay out of these sorts of discussions since I have figured out there are people who I otherwise like but make my blood boil when some ideological topics are discussed ;)

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Through the passage of time, year after year college freshman have a new found freedom that they never experienced at home. I remember friends getting 1.5 gpa's, put on academic probation and then got sent home. LOTS of friends! Those friends were not college athletes either. These were kids that drank way too much, missed every Friday class to go home and didn't take it seriously. College is a bubble of experimentation in many aspects where for the most part if you get in trouble there wont be huge consequences especially in a college town. College cops are used to seeing "tom foolery" by the college students.

I got in trouble while in college, and paid the consequences. If I were get in trouble for the same thing in city I live in, the consequences would have been much different. Get pulled over with beer in the car the college police might tell you to pour your beer and move along if safe. Consequences may vary depending on what you are doing Not Safely. Drink beyond your limit, Unsafe sex, get busted for weed, Public Intoxication, DUI, theft, vandalism, pranks that go too far, etc. I played on the rugby team as well. We were notorious for getting into trouble and being put on probation with the school. We had the best parties!!!! These days the team is very professional and take fitness seriously while offering scholarships funded through the alumni network. We send players to the Professional rugby league.

Let's talk about the hijinx happening at George Mason. Why are these freshman going Loco? Peer pressure from the older players? Kids trying to show each other that they "handle" their consumption of booze? Making poor decisions? Getting to the line, but crossing over on accident? or is it rebellious defiance? Lots of athletes get to college and become total bafoons which includes softballers. Coaches deal with this every year and that is why they set up structure with their schedules. I have heard stories: girls getting in drunkin' fist fights in the middle of the street, shoplifting, smoking weed on an official college visit, kid getting her verbal yanked after being a clown at her official visit, and I am sure you guys have heard others. These are older kids that they think they are adults that are pretty much still morons!

Jan 31, 2015
Again nice in theory..As an FYI I dated my wife for 10 years before I proposed to her and we had my daughter 14 years after we started dating so..

Anyway this is off topic and I generally try to stay out of these sorts of discussions since I have figured out there are people who I otherwise like but make my blood boil when some ideological topics are discussed ;)
Well, assuming you're only *academic* poor, thanks for proving my point. ;-)

Not theory though. PROVEN over and over.

Best wishes!

Jun 8, 2016
Well, assuming you're only *academic* poor, thanks for proving my point. ;-)

Not theory though. PROVEN over and over.

Best wishes!
I didn't disagree that having children before you are ready is a bad thing..but you knew that.

Jan 31, 2015
Through the passage of time, year after year college freshman have a new found freedom that they never experienced at home. I remember friends getting 1.5 gpa's, put on academic probation and then got sent home. LOTS of friends! Those friends were not college athletes either. These were kids that drank way too much, missed every Friday class to go home and didn't take it seriously. College is a bubble of experimentation in many aspects where for the most part if you get in trouble there wont be huge consequences especially in a college town. College cops are used to seeing "tom foolery" by the college students.

I got in trouble while in college, and paid the consequences. If I were get in trouble for the same thing in city I live in, the consequences would have been much different. Get pulled over with beer in the car the college police might tell you to pour your beer and move along if safe. Consequences may vary depending on what you are doing Not Safely. Drink beyond your limit, Unsafe sex, get busted for weed, Public Intoxication, DUI, theft, vandalism, pranks that go too far, etc. I played on the rugby team as well. We were notorious for getting into trouble and being put on probation with the school. We had the best parties!!!! These days the team is very professional and take fitness seriously while offering scholarships funded through the alumni network. We send players to the Professional rugby league.

Let's talk about the hijinx happening at George Mason. Why are these freshman going Loco? Peer pressure from the older players? Kids trying to show each other that they "handle" their consumption of booze? Making poor decisions? Getting to the line, but crossing over on accident? or is it rebellious defiance? Lots of athletes get to college and become total bafoons which includes softballers. Coaches deal with this every year and that is why they set up structure with their schedules. I have heard stories: girls getting in drunkin' fist fights in the middle of the street, shoplifting, smoking weed on an official college visit, kid getting her verbal yanked after being a clown at her official visit, and I am sure you guys have heard others. These are older kids that they think they are adults that are pretty much still morons!
Ah. I remember my buddy on the college rugby team. He called it the *drinking team* that was just using rugby as a front. ;-)

Unfortunately, the stakes are much higher today in the age of #metoo, date rape, and the epidemic of overdoses brought on by a combination of ease of access to alcohol, opioids, and/or Fentanyl.

As far as GMU, has nothing to do w/ upperclassman who are living off campus and NOT the problem. NONE of the upperclassman have been suspended. These are freshman rooming w/ freshman going to parties and not appreciating the *privilege* they have been blessed with to have the RARE opportunity to play DI softball. Just being disrespectful of the HC's rules and irresponsible.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28