Advice for 9 year old I'm working with...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2012
I absolutely soak up every suggestion. I’ve learned so much on here over the years and even more from Pauly and Java at a pitching camp I took my own daughter to several years ago. She’s in college now and I’m trying to help young ones learn IR.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Head over to your local farm supply or hardware store and ask for some scrap stall/shop mat in 3/8 - 3/4 inch thickness and cut it it to 6x24 inches for a pitching rubber. Then, tape it the the floor with No Reside Duct Tape from 3M.

Ask her to think about striking the front edge of the rubber with the ball of her foot. The strike should be down and back. Show her the pictures below and ask her what she could do to help facilitate the down and back strike. See if she can find the solution. If not, check out the Drive Mechanics thread and look for the 2 Step sequence.
Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 8.03.53 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-22 at 8.09.24 PM.png

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I absolutely soak up every suggestion. I’ve learned so much on here over the years and even more from Pauly and Java at a pitching camp I took my own daughter to several years ago. She’s in college now and I’m trying to help young ones learn IR.

If this young one is representative of what you're teaching--you're doing well.

Jan 18, 2012
If this young one is representative of what you're teaching--you're doing well.
Thank you! Her dad is 6’6”, so I want to make sure she’s learning right. I would like to see her pick up some speed though.

I switched my own daughter over when she was a freshman or sophomore. I wish I had known earlier. She’s playing in college but not as a pitcher.

Nov 8, 2018
Drive is the next thing. Get those hips forward. You can see here they stay back. Could just be lack of strength yet.
83601e12156235e8515b559805da2426.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
I know this is a bit into her future but can't help but show you how this coach is working the mental part of the game.

Have a sense you may have her at this level sooner than most.

- Creating Speed on Softball Pitches Through Transitions!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog