Adjusting Stance in Batters Box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
no insult intended

I didn't mean to insult anyone. I was only stating facts. Swinging a bat is not a natural thing for most females. Most mothers of females for whom swinging a bat is not a natural thing don't know how to teach them. Most fathers of females for whom swinging a bat is not a natural thing don't know how to teach them either. So what's left? Volunteer coaches who couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a banjo (but who watch a few videos or read a few books) or self-proclaimed hitting gurus. I don't begrudge guys with good intentions making a few extra bucks teaching some basic techniques. But when they start turning it into a math problem--- well, it's like walking into one of those religious revival tents.

As for the "inbreeding" comment. LOL. I'll bet there's just a long list of guys with glasses and bowties who are qualified to help major leaguers out of their hitting slumps. Maybe we'll see a woman someday giving advice on how to tell the difference between an 88 MPH slider and a 93 MPH fastball within the first 15 feet after the ball is released.

Personally, I roll my eyes when the announcers for the Olympic team telecasts talk about how Finch or the others are the fastest in the world--- throwing about 68 MPH. I used to face men whose offspeed stuff was in that range.

May 9, 2008
The pithcher in our area is going to Oklahoma and she throws in the upper 60's with great control and she has great movement also. It's just when I see the girls make contact it is all down first base line either fould or fare. Very few can get around on her and those that do are late. From the reply's it seems more think not to move. On the other hand it can't hurt to move them back because they don't get the bat on the bal as it is. You think that would mess with them too much.

May 7, 2008
Here's my take:

1. If she's going to pitch at Oklahoma, then she's got big-time Div. 1 skills.

2. She's probably throwing a lot of no-hitters because most high school teams don't have more than one or two (if any) hitters with Div. 1 talent.

3. There's a huge difference between catching up to a pitch in the 50s and one in the 60s -- and most hitters are just not physically equipped to do it.

That being said, I'll offer this:

1. Wherever the hitters are holding their hands to start, have them start with their hands back farther.

2. Have them stand a little closer to the plate than normal and discipline themselves to do what they should be doing anyway--which is step at the ball (if they step). I recommend not stepping against someone that fast. Just turn the shoulder and hands back as the ball is being released (cocking the bat) and keep the chin down close to that front shoulder.

3. Be ready to hit the FIRST pitch. Any pitcher with that much skill wants to get ahead in the count. Most often the most hittable pitch you'll see is the FIRST pitch. If a hitter gets down in the count to someone like that, she'll start seeing the rise and the drop and the curve and the change.

4. Tell them to be confident. I still think I can hit a bullet shot from a high-powered rifle and I'm an old (relatively) man.

May 5, 2008
Another thought....If your hitters are using a stride (and I do hope they are, but that's another discussion entirely), have you taken a look at when they are striding. I've noticed that many girls against a fast pitcher are striding late (like when the ball is already half way there, thus, making the rest of their swing late).

I've seen players be able to make an adjustment with their stride (actually take it when they are supposed to, or even slightly earlier) and it definitely made a difference. They went from being late like you're describing to hitting the ball up the middle.

Personally, I never really moved around much in the box. But I really don't think there's any hard, fast rule. AND, if moving back in the box somehow gives your hitters the idea that they have more time and they become more confident that they WILL hit the ball, then why not try it?

May 9, 2008
YEs she is big time. She has over 130 career wins and over 40 no-hitters. That is a very good point about there stride and keeping there hands back. Thanks for the help.

May 12, 2008
I didn't mean to insult anyone. I was only stating facts. Swinging a bat is not a natural thing for most females. Most mothers of females for whom swinging a bat is not a natural thing don't know how to teach them. Most fathers of females for whom swinging a bat is not a natural thing don't know how to teach them either. So what's left? Volunteer coaches who couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a banjo (but who watch a few videos or read a few books) or self-proclaimed hitting gurus. I don't begrudge guys with good intentions making a few extra bucks teaching some basic techniques. But when they start turning it into a math problem--- well, it's like walking into one of those religious revival tents.

As for the "inbreeding" comment. LOL. I'll bet there's just a long list of guys with glasses and bowties who are qualified to help major leaguers out of their hitting slumps. Maybe we'll see a woman someday giving advice on how to tell the difference between an 88 MPH slider and a 93 MPH fastball within the first 15 feet after the ball is released.

Personally, I roll my eyes when the announcers for the Olympic team telecasts talk about how Finch or the others are the fastest in the world--- throwing about 68 MPH. I used to face men whose offspeed stuff was in that range.

They are talking about women.

Swinging a bat is not natural for almost everyone. We all learn to manipulate objects by reaching and moving our hands and arms from the time we get hold of the sippy cup. Put an object in our hands and the natural instinct for most people is to move it with primarily with our arms rather than body movement using the arms primarily as connectors. Turns out that's not the best way as demonstrated by the best hitters in the world. A few lucky ones or gifted savants solve this movment problem the most effective way on their own. Most need a little guidance.

May 25, 2008
That guy who never played the game who works with Crystl B also teaches MLB hitting coaches!!! Most Baseball players have egos too big to talk with Softball people. :)

Ignorance is bliss to many in the world today!

When talking hitting mechanics there is one thing to remember, why work against the way the body naturally moves and develops power/strength...? :)

May 12, 2008
Yes he is. I'll say this. It doesn't take a lick of athletic experience to look at video of elite hitters, compare them to what the majority, IME, of instructors with all kinds of experience teach, and see that most are teaching things that five minutes of research would show to be at odds with what the best in the world do. So is it an advantage to have an instructor who played at a high level? Guess that depends on which one you pick doesn't it.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Sports is filled with players whose thoughts and ideas about what they do are at odds with how they actually perform those actions. I got my introduction to this some 20 years ago when the great Jack Nicklaus wrote a book about the golf swing. Then several years later he admitted that when he actually tried to swing the way he thought he was supposed to swing he went into a prolonged slump. Of course he then wrote another book. Ted Williams used to say that he saw the ball hit the bat. Many years later when he was informed that this was a physical impossibility he shrugged his shoulders and said "Well, I guess it just seemed like I could do that.'' Just because a great player, or a player who thinks that he is great, says something about how he physically performs an action doesn't make it so.

Itsallgood, brilliant analogy, you are comparing 10-16U softball to Professional Baseball. Let's make the question more relevant, how many 10-16U baseball teams have coaches with "Professional" experience?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
One other thing to keep in mind when looking at MLB hitters is that most of them are 8-15 years older (or more) than most of the kids we're talking about. There is a certain amount of physical maturity and game experience that comes into play. Many of these top-level hitters did not display the mechanics they have now when they were 15, or 12, or 10. They may have been on the road to them, but there have been thousands of swings since then.

It's actually a shame. Just about the time most female fastpitch players start to get it, their careers are over.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12