Add Favorite Catching Picture

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
If rules to protect catchers/players are being adhered to like all sports these days collisions at the plate should be a thing of the past.
Not saying I agree or disagree but just the ways things are headed.
Everybody just seems to interpret the rule to best suit then like most things.
All the catchers Dad’s I’m sure will disagree but there is any easy way to keep players safe.
Don’t block the plate without the ball and don’t try and steamroll the catcher when she has the ball waiting for you. Go around!!!
I say this because one of my DD’s was catching a couple of yrs back and out in front of the plate waiting for a throw right where she should be and the runner veered to her left with the plate wide open and trucked her.
The ump called nothing and the game was halted for 45mins waiting for a ambulance. The result was a concussion, bruised lung, and missed next two games.
Scary moment couldn’t catch her breath and has problems breathing until help arrived.
Point being dirty play went uncalled resulting in injury. Totally unnecessary I don’t want to see any players get hurt needlessly or otherwise.
So really a common sense thing if/when rules don’t specify clearly enough.
Don’t block the plate without the ball, leave runner a clear path to the plate when no ball, if catcher has ball early block plate all day long, if runner leaves that clear path to intentionally inflict harm/instigate collision she is our end of story.
I hate that happened to your DD. It sucks, but it’s part of the game. I remember DD getting plowed over in 10U, busted mouth and nose with mask on. She cried for the next half inning. It sucks to see it as a dad. Catchers get trucked from time to time.

This was two nationally ranked HS teams that played a 5-4 game. The intensity was unbelievable! DD has the ball, runner came in hard I’m sure to try and dislodge the ball. Never saw it as a dirty play, just hard softball. You’ll never get hit harder than a catcher does.

Apr 28, 2019
I hate that happened to your DD. It sucks, but it’s part of the game. I remember DD getting plowed over in 10U, busted mouth and nose with mask on. She cried for the next half inning. It sucks to see it as a dad. Catchers get trucked from time to time.

This was two nationally ranked HS teams that played a 5-4 game. The intensity was unbelievable! DD has the ball, runner came in hard I’m sure to try and dislodge the ball. Never saw it as a dirty play, just hard softball. You’ll never get hit harder than a catcher does.
I think that is the whole point of trying to take collisions out of the game. The powers that be want to remove potential contact/injuries from the game.
I get what your saying though in intense, competitive, hotly contested games teams are trying to gain any advantage they can and push the envelope.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
There is a technique that DD learned to getting trucked because it does happen. Knees shoulder width apart, feet together, like blocking. This prevents knee injuries. Ball in glove and throwing hand to secure. Absorb contact and roll if necessary. Feet together will send you to one side or the other and allow you to roll without damaging knees as if your feet were apart.

Apr 28, 2019
There is a technique that DD learned to getting trucked because it does happen. Knees shoulder width apart, feet together, like blocking. This prevents knee injuries. Ball in glove and throwing hand to secure. Absorb contact and roll if necessary. Feet together will send you to one side or the other and allow you to roll without damaging knees as if your feet were apart.
I prefer the bull fighter method. 😁 Not the ending the beginning & middle parts. Thanks for info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802