ACT Prep Feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 2, 2013
DD is registered to take the ACT for the first time in December. I'd like to have her take a prep course before hand and since everything is online now, I wondered if anyone on here had any experience with a site they would recommend?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
You can try Khan Academy which is free but your DD would need to do it all herself. If you have the funds, I would highly recommend hiring a private tutor especially if you need to get a big Score. They teach you how to take the test, and how the test makers make the test. It will pay for itself in academic monies, but depends on the school. My DD did the group test prep and she hated it. So we ended up going with a private. In all reality it's a 3-6 months process.

Jun 7, 2016
I suggest you evaluate where your DD is currently academically and motivationally and decide based on her situation how to proceed. My DD sat early sept for ACT and mid sept for SAT. She boosted her ACT composite two points, and her SAT 170 pts, pushed both into 99 percentile. Her prep was more involved over the summer than she did for her first attempts pre-covid. She is now a senior and is challenging herself with classes at school. She works diligently at academic pursuits. Therefore, I trusted she could do prep on her own. She worked the Khan program. It was her favorite resource (and they have a program to enter the student into a pool for scholarship based on how much prep time they log - its all FREE!) We also printed online tests/answer keys and used them. Imperative that they know what is wrong and why! These are available thru college board and ACT.org (google it). She did get a couple of books from library, best part she said was strategy tips for time, guessing etc. Some good info on web but can be time consuming to sift thru. PrepScholar is full of good college admissions info. Ultimately, it is grinder work. Your DD has to want to put in time to get a score she wants (not so different from softball in that regard).
While colleges are saying test optional, it will always be a positive on her application if your DD can submit scores that are in the top 50% of admitted students. (Here is an article: https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2020/10/28/yale-prepares-for-first-test-optional-admissions-cycle/
in which the admissions dean states: "... answer the basic question, ‘can the student do the work at Yale?’ We use testing to answer that basic first order question"

Nov 5, 2014
DD is registered to take the ACT for the first time in December. I'd like to have her take a prep course before hand and since everything is online now, I wondered if anyone on here had any experience with a site they would recommend?
My DS used the 6 week Prep Expert course. Raised his score from 31 to 35. In the end it is about putting in the work. For him the structure of the class was helpful but if he put that same amount of effort in on his own I think the results may have been comparable. DS would not have put that work in on his own so the class was worth every penny. Figure out what will help your DD put the necessary work in.

May 27, 2013
I highly recommend a private tutor. Dd scored well on her own the first time she took it but for the schools she was looking at she needed to get a couple points higher to be considered highly competitive with other applicants‘ scores. She raised her ACT score by four points! She did her sessions via FaceTime meetings with the tutor. He did an amazing job with her and she put in the work.

Prior to her first try she did Khan Academy (which is geared more for the SAT) and the study guides. I agree with the above poster who said if your dd needs a high score, go with a tutor.

Jul 2, 2013
Thanks for the input. With this being her first try, I really want a resource that will introduce her to the test and what to expect.

With time constraints what they are for this one, we will probably do something online and see how she does. She needs to get a 22 or 23 to qualify for dual credit classes for next academic year so that's the goal right now. She's a good student and works hard at her classes. She has a 10.9 something on an 11 point GPA scale. She will probably take it again in the spring no matter what so a tutor might help more then. And she would have more time to take advantage of it.

Any recommendations on the tutor front? Or did you guys use someone local?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Thanks for the input. With this being her first try, I really want a resource that will introduce her to the test and what to expect.

With time constraints what they are for this one, we will probably do something online and see how she does. She needs to get a 22 or 23 to qualify for dual credit classes for next academic year so that's the goal right now. She's a good student and works hard at her classes. She has a 10.9 something on an 11 point GPA scale. She will probably take it again in the spring no matter what so a tutor might help more then. And she would have more time to take advantage of it.

Any recommendations on the tutor front? Or did you guys use someone local?
Find someone local. Talk to other parents. Do your research first. DD got a 21 on the ACT the first time (Soph) year. No test prep. Then took it another 5 times! She was burned out. If I were to do it again, I would have hired the private tutor from the very beginning. She ended up with a 27, but really didn't need it since she was auto entry with top 5% grad. Her college academic monies start at 33 ACT, she was way off. LOL. At most mid majors they would have given her lots of academic $$$, but she wanted a more prestigious degree from a higher academic school where she could make an immediate impact on the field.

I am assuming she hasn't taken Alg II yet. Once she takes that class, her Math skills will improve the score, but having someone that can tell you the tricks of the test and how to eliminate 2 of the answers right off the bat will be very beneficial.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
The key to the ACT is finishing. Lots of kids get tired in the last portion and don't finish. DD like another poster had a 31-32 the first time around and after private coaching upped her score to 35 as a rising senior. DD's real passion is winning at academics, your experiences may vary. As far as doing this remotely, I don't see why it would make much difference. Good luck.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
ACT offers an online prep that is reasonably priced. Get a high enough score, and you may not need any athletic money. ;)

Jul 2, 2013
I am assuming she hasn't taken Alg II yet. Once she takes that class, her Math skills will improve the score, but having someone that can tell you the tricks of the test and how to eliminate 2 of the answers right off the bat will be very beneficial.

Our school actually offers Algebra 1 in middle school to qualifying students so she has had that and Geometry and is taking Algebra 2 right now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812