accuracy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2017
Back when I worked college ball and men's fastpitch I had a rectangle strike zone but it was bigger in width than height. I'd give some room off the plate if the catcher knew how to frame. Didnt call too much up and most good pitchers knew to keep the ball down (except in fastpitch; but then the pitcher was not throwing as a strike but to be chased.)

Having a DD who is starting her second year of travel ball (12u) the problem I see is umpires don't communicate their zone prior to the game and pitchers are not taught to find the edge of the zone. Even worse is when after the game the umpire tells tell the coach that they wanted to call the outside pitch but the catcher wouldn't setup out there. At this age you should let the coach know the issue. At the higher levels catchers are more adept.

When I worked the dish I would tell both coaches no one was here to see me call strikes, but see players swing bats. I was going to work the game with the same strike zone for both teams, and not to expect pitches down out of the zone.

I would tell the catcher in warmups to frame and not jerk the ball. Not to stand up early and take strikes away from thier pitcher. I would also tell them that they can have about an inch outside but the pitch has to be there and they had to be there.

I also think coaches find lack of consistency more of an issue than a missed pitch. A strike in the first inning should be a strike in the last inning.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jan 13, 2017
Give her something that she can throw to besides a glove something she can do on her own . Get a pie pan drill a hole in it hang it on a fence or cage net . Start at 15 or 20 foot and just have her do a simple right left throw or if she is a lefty left right throw . When she get the hang of it step it back it's worked for us .

Nov 29, 2009
In Chicagoland, the strike zone literally changes with the weather.

You forgot the most common sized strikezone. The SHOEBOX!!!!

Know a local umpire for a long time. He's numerous HS postseason championship tournaments over the years. He told me he hears the least amount of complaints from either side when he is calling a lot of strikes for both sides.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
You forgot the most common sized strikezone. The SHOEBOX!!!!

Know a local umpire for a long time. He's numerous HS postseason championship tournaments over the years. He told me he hears the least amount of complaints from either side when he is calling a lot of strikes for both sides.

I'm all for more strikes if it speeds up the game. What good is winning when I have lost all my fingers to frostbite?

Feb 7, 2013
To improve accuracy, after each pitching practice we simulated real game situations where DD had to “strikeout” 5 imaginary batters before we were done for the day. For example, first pitch low, inside fastball, if it was for a strike the count was 0-1. The next pitch could be a change up on the outside corner, if she missed, ball 1. Count now is 1-1, etc. if she “walked” a batter, the count would start over again. It’s a fun way to work on hitting your locations with different pitches.

Jul 14, 2018
Many good drills and mechanical suggestions here already, but here is a really simple suggestion that many people on DFP made when DD was struggling with her control last year: play catch underhand.

Since we started working a simple underhand catch into DD's warmup routine, her accuracy has increased dramatically. I'm sure there's progress being made throughout her delivery, but she's really turned a corner since making this a part of her routine. I think a lot of it is mental -- once she gained the confidence that she could casually toss a ball underhand and it would go where she wanted it to, she stopped trying to 'aim' the ball when she pitched and let her mechanics (which she works hard on) do the work for her.

DD pitched a five-inning 14U game last weekend: 67 pitches, 50 were strikes. Last spring (before she began the underhand catch) she was averaging 3 walks an inning. Give it a try.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
No need to bring it up at lesson, cv... I can read... ;)

Three words for you to consider:

SPEED. SPIN. SPOT.

Not only are these the only three tools a pitcher has to get a batter out... but they are the order in which we ought to learn.

You are reversing the order... and as BM said a long time ago... give me a burner and I can teach her spot. Give me a girl that "throws strikes"... and well... don't! ;)

Look, truth is... your DD has a lot of things to work on, including from 12 down. I've addressed POSTURE and TIMING with you so far... these are requisites before we work on "mechanics". And we still have a decent amount of work to do on both. Think about that, cv... if she can't control her body (consistently), nor the timing of movements (consistently)... how could we ever have an expectation that she can control the ball???

There are two answers: She reverts and abandons the progress she is making (happens 90+% of the time... especially when the OUTSIDE expectations of her match or exceed her own)... OR.... she develops courage under fire... failing as much as she succeeds (maybe even more failure) in games this year... but stays motivated and reminded of her progress.

Don't let the outcome overshadow the process, my friend. Stay the course. Forget accolades at this age. They are much more enjoyable the OLDER they get.

See you on Sunday!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812