Accuracy and hitting batters 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 15, 2019
I needed this post, 10 yo in about the same boat. When you say control is the last thing that comes, is it a gradual thing, or does it just finally "click"? Her mechanics and velocity are coming along well, but accuracy is still kind of sketchy.

Apr 12, 2015
The only comment that was ever made to my DD about hitting batters in 10U was if you are going to hit them.....hit them hard.

May 11, 2018
as a dad who's gone through the same thing the best advise i can give. keep it fun and only worry about mechanics let the coaches worry about strikes. at 9 and 10 they are not ever going to be consistent game to game or practice to practice, it just an age thing. i noticed once i stopped caring about strikes and only worried about mechanics my relationship with my daughter (13) improved greatly. some of the best pitchers in 10U we don't even see anymore at 14U as people mentioned its a marathon not a sprint.

May 9, 2019
as a dad who's gone through the same thing the best advise i can give. keep it fun and only worry about mechanics let the coaches worry about strikes. at 9 and 10 they are not ever going to be consistent game to game or practice to practice, it just an age thing. i noticed once i stopped caring about strikes and only worried about mechanics my relationship with my daughter (13) improved greatly. some of the best pitchers in 10U we don't even see anymore at 14U as people mentioned its a marathon not a sprint.

Thanks for this. I think as a "bucket dad" I am too critical at times and just need to step back and take a breath, and take it one day, one pitch, at a time.

Oct 4, 2018
I remember my DD pitching coach telling me if she only walks 15 in a game it's a good day. I was standing there like what are you talking about. LOL

Too funny. And too true.

My DD used to walk and bean girls left and right. Just part of the development process.

Aug 2, 2019
Too funny. And too true.

My DD used to walk and bean girls left and right. Just part of the development process.
I remember a rec game that ending 15-15. Maybe 2-3 hits total. That would mean 22-23 walks per side. That was an excruciating 75 minutes. A 15 walk performance in that game would have been considered dominate.

Sep 19, 2018
My DD's rec league has a 5 run rule per inning. 2 girls on the team I coached (not my DD luckily), Combined for something like 24 'inning' pitched. But only actually got 3 outs in an inning once or twice. All walks. Uhhhggg a tough watch.

Oct 4, 2018
I needed this post, 10 yo in about the same boat. When you say control is the last thing that comes, is it a gradual thing, or does it just finally "click"? Her mechanics and velocity are coming along well, but accuracy is still kind of sketchy.

In my experience, sample size of one, it's both.

My DD's control is very good. It gradually improved, and gradually improved, and gradually improved but then clicked. So it went from like 0 to 5 to 10 to 20 to 40 and then to 80.

Of course she's my DD so is awesome, but I'm really most proud about her walk rate. It's about 0.5 per inning and she's 10U. I sometimes tell her a walk is like an error on the pitcher. A bit harsh, perhaps.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.

I think it's just a matter of getting the repetitions. There is a very small margin of error and throwing 3 strikes before 4 balls takes practice. When the hitters realize that they don't have to swing to get on base that's what happens.

What I notice is the really bad pitches disappear first and the radius of misses gets smaller and smaller. Good mechanics helps of course and so does athleticism but in the end it takes time and reps.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
When you say control is the last thing that comes, is it a gradual thing, or does it just finally "click"?

With good form, speed is a natural byproduct. Control comes from practicing good form. Once a kid has pretty solid form, they should be able to close their eyes and drill a zone consistently. I they can’t do this, you need to reassess what form you’re working on and decide if you’re missing key points.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812