Abbott throwing gas at the Stand Beside Her Tour

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
Not mad at
Not mad at all. Just not really impressed. I’m more impressed with “average” size ladies that can hit 70. Fizer of MN, Hoover, Garcia, etc...

If you guys are impressed with 72mph from a 6’ 3” pitcher you would be blown away by 80mph I’m sure.
you’ve obviously never seen Hoover in person. She’s a beast.

6’2” and solid as a rock. Probably 190-200 and not a lick of fat. She’s far from “average “ sized.

Apr 28, 2019

6’2” and solid as a rock. Probably 190-200 and not a lick of fat. She’s far from “average “ sized.
Your right TH. Hoover is ph

Your right TH. Hoover is physically comparable to the other above average height pitchers.
When I think of Hoover I just tend to rank her a level below the top pitchers. She has the velocity and physicality to be a top pitcher but just hasn’t won the big time games.
Maybe she was on a lesser team than the other top pitchers but she never carried her team to a championship.
I group her with Paige Parker, Paige Lowary, etc... Very good pitchers but not 1st Team USA good.

I know I’m being super critical but my point is some people have a physical advantage over others. The advantage can be neutralized/overcome with hard work/dedication in many cases.

There are many gifted athletes that didn’t work hard and never reached their full potential. There are also less talented players that worked their butts off and made the most of what they had.

What I’m saying if you have that rare combination of a physically advantaged player with a great work ethic and excellent mechanics you have a potential GOAT on your hands.

Can you imagine if Randy Johnson had the mechanics of Tom Seaver or even Roger Clemens?

Can you imagine if Monica Abbott rocked back and had more momentum rather than going into a full squat and killing any momentum?

Monica has toyed with her delivery the past few years and I just hate when she was using that full squat motion before every pitch. I imagine it gave her a good leg workout but was absolutely no help in the speed of her pitches. Maybe it was a timing thing for her but I feel she is leaving about 5mph on the table with her delivery.

The goal should be constant improvement. Striving to get better every day. Complacency breeds losing. Dare to be Great!!!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Pardon Madbandit...
Didnt you just express that she has toy'd with her starting delivery? Then to keep going back to her squat style?!

Then you mention goal should be growth not complacency....

Hmmmm....
Seems she has looked into ways of possible growth mechanics.....
Too find what she is doing
WORKS REALLY DAMN WELL! ;)

There is not one best way that works for every'body'.

Spoke of this pitcher in another post

Debbie Doom 6'5"
Six foot, 5 inches
UCLA, Pan American team
Olympic team USA
Slow body motion.
Released the ball very low to the ground.
Like 8 inches off the ground.
We joke sometimes she'd scrape her knuckles.
Bent way low at waste.
Rose up....
Imagine ball 8 feet in the air...
Over her head...
Then from the box would see
a giant cleat comming at you....and then the ball being released nearly 8 feet below....
8 inches off the ground.
Seriously sorta slowly.
Then really accurate!

Literally her cleat landed on the pitching circle chaulk. Sometimes over it.
Eventually erasing it.
Oh....and the pitching rubber was at 40 feet!

Incredible pitcher!!!!
Threw two back to back perfect games at Pan American games!!!
Amongst her other amazing accomplishments!

When i see incredible talent and the trail of excellence created by it....
I say
" WHAT A GREAT EXAMPLE"

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
MB, when “If’s“, “Ands” and “Buts” are candy and nuts, we’ll all have a Merry Christmas.

To suggest or imply that any pitcher you listed should have worked harder is laughable and proves you have no idea how difficult it is to get to that level or compete for playing time in that environment. You don’t get there and stay there on talent alone. You get on the train or the train runs you over.

I seriously can’t believe anyone has the gall to say they know how Abbott or Johnson could be or could have been better. Or claim to have enough knowledge to instruct them on their “failings”. It is ludicrous.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802