Abbott throwing gas at the Stand Beside Her Tour

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
This whole line of discussion is goofy. No one in their right mind would suggest that a pitcher like Abbott is somehow below their potential.

What part of “unhittable” needs improvement?

More unhittable?

I can’t remember which unhittable lefty said it but one of them actually said that she was a better pitcher when she wasn’t throwing max velocity. Could have been Abbott, could have been Cat.

MB, you missed a golden opportunity. Google Ueno and you’ll understand. We’ll get you coached up yet.

Apr 28, 2019
This whole line of discussion is goofy. No one in their right mind would suggest that a pitcher like Abbott is somehow below their potential.

More unhittable?

I can’t remember which unhittable lefty said it but one of them actually said that she was a better pitcher when she wasn’t throwing max velocity. Could have been Abbott, could have been Cat.

MB, you missed a golden opportunity. Google Ueno and you’ll understand. We’ll get you coached up yet.

More unhittable?

First off you know it all

More unhittable?

First off you know nothing bore there is no such thing as unhittable. The Japanese National team hits Abbott just fine.

Secondly, you totally missed the reasoning that at 6’ 3” she has a distinct advantage in the circle.

Thirdly, you can’t seem to understand I don’t care what you think. Nobody on this forum needs to be “coached up” more than you WW.

Apr 28, 2019
I’m with you. It was awesome. Not sure why the bandit is so mad.

It’s nice
Obviously

Obviously height is an advantage for a pitcher. If you don’t recognize that your uninformed.

Height plus a great work ethic can earn you a million dollar contract. Just ask Monica.

Some of the best pitchers in recent memory who were 6’ or taller. Finch, Ricketts, Osterman, Abbott. Alabama Fab freshman in 2019 Montana Fouts.

You contradicted yourself when you mentioned the performance of Abbott & Garcia vs Florida. Of course 6’3” is more intimidating than 5’ 6” especially when you’ve never faced it before. Thanks for making my point for me.

As a side note Garcia has a National Championship and is the defending two time National player of the year.

I’m sure Garcia has faced most of the Florida hitters previously. So there is that familiarity. Abbott is an enigma and I’m sure the Florida ladies were facing her for the first time. Maybe a little in awe and intimidated? I would think so.

It’s nice you and your DD enjoyed yourselves.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
It's definitely tough to argue that size doesn't matter.

It's also tough to argue that Johnson (5 time CY, WS, HOF, 3 all time SO leader, perfect game, 300 win Johnson) should have been throwing harder.

While height is an advantage, it can also be tough to wrangle. And while he eventually learned how to laser spot a 100 MPH fastball, being able to do the same with "105-107" (which no one has been able to do, despite the world being full of 6-10 people) is something else.

"It always comes back to my height. It was hard to be consistent with my mechanics at 6-foot-10. That started in high school, when I started getting a little bit taller. Pitchers just aren't meant to be 6-foot-10. The average height is maybe 6-1 to 6-3. Repeating your mechanics is critical in order to throw strikes. I was able to do that, but not consistently. Therefore, my performances had peaks and valleys."

From great article on his career: https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/new...ndy-johnson-dominance-didnt-come-easy-7505914

I'm sure he could haul off and throw 105. The question is could he spot 105 on the black?

Anyway, we have tickets to the Stand Beside Her Tour when it comes to Stratford CT. Can't wait.

Dec 11, 2010
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.”

The idea that some softball dad thinks Abbott or Johnson aren’t as good as they could be is preposterous. MB, if you were once a MLB player or something, now would be a good time to say it.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I know with baseball, height helps, but also hurts as a pitcher. Lots of long, moving parts to try and repeat. Johnson threw
harder than anybody back in the day...consistently. That was done back then. Modern training and strength techniques
are making guys today throw harder than years back so NOWADAYS 100 doesn't seem too mind blowing, but 15 years ago, it was. Johnson back in the day threw harder than anybody in the game. He was in the triple digits and not many in the game was. Im sure he could wind up and really toss one and maybe do 105 or more, but mechanics would be out the door and the batter may wear it...hahaha. Nobody wants that, he was already intimidating af and already wild enough to scare you...no need to be faster and less controlled than he was. You aren't just throwing, you have to pitch and hit spots or MLB hitters will hit your 100 fastball, So just throwing
as hard as you can, doesn't work.

PLUS, he wasn't some one inning Rob Dibble or Billy Wagner...Johnson was a horse and pitched 7-9 innings when he was out there. He worked his butt off to be one of the greatest of all time. Closers come out and toss one inning, and if they throw like 30 pitches, need 2 days rest. Johnson was throwing 100+ pitches many times out there. The Unit threw 130+ pitches in 105 starts. 46 starts over 140 pitches.
Todays pitchers would be on the IR if doing what he did...haha

Sep 29, 2014
I think Monica, Jennie, Sarah a lot of the tall ladies all seem like they don't really have good drive but I think it is an optical illusion of some kind because of their height; kinda like watching a guy 6 ft dunk a basketball versus someone 7 ft dunk it just looks more explosive when the 6 footer does it. and while you could nit pik any pitcher pretty sure they will all be happy to just let their results speak for themselves.

Jun 8, 2016
Genetic advantages of various types exist in all sports at the highest levels. For every Rachel Garcia there are a 100 pitchers at her height who worked just as hard but just are not as gifted as she is. That is life. Yes Ted Williams (my father's man-crush) worked his arse off but he probably isn't hitting .406 without 20/10 vision...

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I know with baseball, height helps, but also hurts as a pitcher. Lots of long, moving parts to try and repeat.

This ^^^ is a factor that I think is overlooked. Long levers don't necessarily mean a higher velocity at the end of the lever. Think of a small kid swinging a longer bat. If the strength and structure isn't there to handle the length and weight, there won't be an increase in bat speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802