AB 16 y.o.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

osagedr

Canadian Fastpitch Dad
Oct 20, 2016
Historically was more of a hitter for average with some pop; met a coach last offseason who said you are pretty strong start using your lower body and you will hit the ball a long way with no additional effort. Had a solid season; travel team plays a good schedule with PGF; Play MSP; Triple Crown events. OPS was 1.130 this fall; still a ways to go but constantly improving against good pitching.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
She has got some pop! a lot to like in her swing! I would be a bit concerned with the radius lengthening before launch. Most lengthen after launch if needed, keeping the arc smaller and lengthening as needed.

just from this view it looks like she doesn’t leverage her front side so she compensates with the lengthening of the arc to launch.

the arms shouldn’t lengthen until rotation is initiated.

Jmo from limited knowledge of the player and view from the video provided.

May 4, 2020
Historically was more of a hitter for average with some pop; met a coach last offseason who said you are pretty strong start using your lower body and you will hit the ball a long way with no additional effort. Had a solid season; travel team plays a good schedule with PGF; Play MSP; Triple Crown events. OPS was 1.130 this fall; still a ways to go but constantly improving against good pitching.

Love the bat choice. Looks like a 2021 LXT. Can’t be easy getting any outdoor practice in this time of year in Canada.
Shouldn’t you be practicing on a frozen pond by now? 😜

osagedr

Canadian Fastpitch Dad
Oct 20, 2016
She has got some pop! a lot to like in her swing! I would be a bit concerned with the radius lengthening before launch. Most lengthen after launch if needed, keeping the arc smaller and lengthening as needed.

just from this view it looks like she doesn’t leverage her front side so she compensates with the lengthening of the arc to launch.

the arms shouldn’t lengthen until rotation is initiated.

Jmo from limited knowledge of the player and view from the video provided.

Appreciate the feedback will dig into it!

osagedr

Canadian Fastpitch Dad
Oct 20, 2016
Love the bat choice. Looks like a 2021 LXT. Can’t be easy getting any outdoor practice in this time of year in Canada.
Shouldn’t you be practicing on a frozen pond by now? 😜

lol definitely. Vid is from mid-Oct. We have had a great fall here though.

osagedr

Canadian Fastpitch Dad
Oct 20, 2016
Her swing looks great. Just watch where the ball goes. Would love to see side angle too. Also the screen has a hole in it for good reason.LOL

LOL yeah I often windmill pitch through the hole but some days we mix it up and soft toss around the side.

Here's proper net usage :) :

Last edited:

Chris Delorit

Apr 24, 2016
Green Bay, WI

Canucks aye?

Love the attitute. There's some valuable data in those clips.

As an athlete ... it's easy to see that she's a prototypical elite physique, clearly has the biomechanics and has the "can do" spirit of enthusiasm. Alot of +'s.

As a young, developing hitter ... I'd agree that your own assessment of her as a contact hitter is appropriate. I also see a little bit of what I would call 2020 cookie cutter in her swing mechanics. What I'm seeing is a level of exaggeration in three areas ... stance footwork, lower body rotation and upper body follow through. A good chunk of those swings are producing a slice effect on the softball trajectory, because of a more inside-out bat path. At the moment, my opinion is that her approach is primarily rotational. I see an overproduction of rhythym but an underproduction of torque production.

If she's interested in developing more raw power in her swing, my suggestion is to work on developing a hybrid linear/rotational approach. Really work on developing purpose and intent. More balanced footwork ... relax the lead toe, work on driving off of the inner ball/big toe of the drive foot, drive hard to a strong plant/collapse the back side rather than rotate 90 degrees and on the top side, drive the hands hard to contact and allow the bat to take the hands with the explosion to max energy release. She hits to contact, then hits the brakes.

If I was a recruiting coach, I'd suggest she blends in with the rest. With her physique, athleticism and enthusiasm, breaking out of the pack should be pretty straightforward. Remember, hitting with power is a violent act. Mechanics & mind must be onboard for the ride.

PS ... who lays off that high strike in BP? Always challenge your ability to get outside the comfort zone here ... challenging the margins ... getting after everything she can get a piece of the barrel on - that one in particular goes a long way in a straight line! ;)

Dad - Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

Chris

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Canucks aye?

Love the attitute. There's some valuable data in those clips.

As an athlete ... it's easy to see that she's a prototypical elite physique, clearly has the biomechanics and has the "can do" spirit of enthusiasm. Alot of +'s.

As a young, developing hitter ... I'd agree that your own assessment of her as a contact hitter is appropriate. I also see a little bit of what I would call 2020 cookie cutter in her swing mechanics. What I'm seeing is a level of exaggeration in three areas ... stance footwork, lower body rotation and upper body follow through. A good chunk of those swings are producing a slice effect on the softball trajectory, because of a more inside-out bat path. At the moment, my opinion is that her approach is primarily rotational. I see an overproduction of rhythym but an underproduction of torque production.

If she's interested in developing more raw power in her swing, my suggestion is to work on developing a hybrid linear/rotational approach. Really work on developing purpose and intent. More balanced footwork ... relax the lead toe, work on driving off of the inner ball/big toe of the drive foot, drive hard to a strong plant/collapse the back side rather than rotate 90 degrees and on the top side, drive the hands hard to contact and allow the bat to take the hands with the explosion to max energy release. She hits to contact, then hits the brakes.

If I was a recruiting coach, I'd suggest she blends in with the rest. With her physique, athleticism and enthusiasm, breaking out of the pack should be pretty straightforward. Remember, hitting with power is a violent act. Mechanics & mind must be onboard for the ride.

WOuld the Happy Gilmore Drill help promote this action you are describing?

PS ... who lays off that high strike in BP? Always challenge your ability to get outside the comfort zone here ... challenging the margins ... getting after everything she can get a piece of the barrel on - that one in particular goes a long way in a straight line! ;)

Dad - Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

Chris

Would the Happy Gilmore Drill promote this action?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478