A year into the journey

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Arm, you're right. The numbers don't lie. Home runs are up, batting averages are up, pitchers need to wear facemasks now days. And yes, I'm aware a good portion of that is due to bats and balls. The other portion is to the fact hitters are getting better and better.

Very soon the art of picking pitchers will trickle down to local competitions and then hitters will be skilled at the art by the time they reach college. I've said all along that this is a gradual process. RIGHT NOW, you're right. Pitchers can and do get away with showing the ball and the pitch because hitters aren't being taught to simply pay attention. But that is slowly changing. More and more male fastpitch players are getting into coaching and, just like the male influence on pitching that you see more and more now, male influence on hitting (male fastpitch players) will take affect. Changes like this don't happen instantly but I promise you the best hitters you see in college are picking pitchers and capitalizing on coaches who obtain the pick for them. I'd say we are in one the last generations of pitchers who will have a great deal of success doing this. But, that's just my opinion and I respect your's too Armwhip. But I am speaking from experience and the trend that is happening.
Think its funny your topic of picking pitchers as a new thing

Players have been reading pitches for decades Mr.B

Aug 21, 2008

I know it has, I certainly didn't invent it. Never claimed I did either. I can remember doing it as a teenager in our men's league even before I knew what it was. Just watching and paying attention I was able to see a great deal. And back then, as a 15 year old playing against men, I though I had this little secret that only I knew about. Little did I know what I didn't know at that point!! lol.

Chris Delorit

Apr 24, 2016
Green Bay, WI

Hi RAD,

Technically, those are two seperate actions. I'm sure you know that, it's just semantics. If you can somewhat consistantly achieve both on the offensive side, you've unquestionably presented yourself with a level of advantage. However, like most things in life ... it's not a gaurantee of more success.

Although I can't speak on behalf of Bill, he probably opines about the topic because of the prevalence of this topic in the men's game over time. Outside of coaching or watching the ladies game enough to make educated assertions, hearing from those ladies who have played is always preferred and helpful to understanding what's going on inside of those circles. 🥎

Cheers,
Chris

Jan 14, 2020
After watching one of the local college teams play online my DD really liked how the pitcher threw, so we did some youtubing and she watched a video on top college pitchers and it clicked for my DD. By far the weirdest par is she watch Jenny F pitch and started mimicking her finish and her brush and whip popped in out of nowhere. Don't mind the vacuum or animals walking by... lol

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Outside of coaching or watching the ladies game enough to make educated assertions, hearing from those ladies who have played is always preferred and helpful to understanding what's going on inside of those circles. 🥎

Cheers,
Chris
Hi,
To your point, is why i spoke up. :)

radness

Dec 13, 2019
After watching one of the local college teams play online my DD really liked how the pitcher threw, so we did some youtubing and she watched a video on top college pitchers and it clicked for my DD. By far the weirdest par is she watch Jenny F pitch and started mimicking her finish and her brush and whip popped in out of nowhere. Don't mind the vacuum or animals walking by... lol

:) more than just a pitching video, entertainment value too!

Good for her!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802