A year into the journey

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
Maybe the Astros did cheat more, and all those years stats are the result.= aka they needed to cheat to perform how they did.
Well they went to the ALCS last season and took it to 7 games without Verlander, Osuna or Jordon Alvarez so no, that's isn't the case. Likely would have gone to World Series if they had just one of them.

Not every Astro was using "the system". Some hitters refused to accept the help. Even if you know Fastball is coming it's coming at 95mph so it's no easy task to put it in play.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Well they went to the ALCS last season and took it to 7 games without Verlander, Osuna or Jordon Alvarez so no, that's isn't the case. Likely would have gone to World Series if they had just one of them.

Not every Astro was using "the system". Some hitters refused to accept the help. Even if you know Fastball is coming it's coming at 95mph so it's no easy task to put it in play.
I was completely teasing and near zero interest in bb. :)
But it was in the highlights of the news so theres that.

Interesting some refused help!

As i posted earlier
Think its helps some but not others to know adead of time what pitch is comming.
Sometimes knowing what we think will be thrown and the results differ.
Myself...would rather watch the pitcher!

Plus there may be knowledge of what pitch, but not the location.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
From RAD, " Think its helps some but not others to know ahead of time what pitch is coming. "
When I coached 12/13 y/o boys, I had an AC that could figure out the other teams signs by the 2nd inning. If it was a FB, we would holler the hitters name and if it was CB or CU we holler his number. It helped some and distracted/hurt others. It is something that would need to be practiced. Then what happens when you face a team that does not give the signs visually or changes them ever inning. I like seeing the release. And why does flipped CU still work? Thats is an easy one to pick up on but I still see hitters getting fooled.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Well the numbers don't lie and in spite of the common sense appeal of coming out of the glove the vast majority of college pitchers haven't seen the need to adopt it. I went back through a bunch of the WCWS 2019 games and found only 3 pitchers (Plain, Alvelo, Fizer) who used out of the glove and 12 pitchers with backswings. I found video of Alicia Hollowell in the 2006 Championship game using OOG so it's not like the technique hasn't been around.

And just for the record when I feel a pitcher is ready I insist that she try OOG for several sessions, and then I let them make the decision on what to do.

Jan 14, 2020

a little trial by fire... after 2 basketball games on NYE, we drove by my buddies cages and she wanted to throw. She was out of gas from the games and I didn't have my oven mitts on me, not ideal by any means. She warmed up briefly and let it fly. I need to keep recording between pitches so you can here her explaining what she goof'd up on and I let her know we are building a house here, brick by brick. For me, this is the enjoyable part... the process

and if you are wondering, the tarp is from an old amuzement park... lol

Aug 21, 2008
Well the numbers don't lie and in spite of the common sense appeal of coming out of the glove the vast majority of college pitchers haven't seen the need to adopt it. I went back through a bunch of the WCWS 2019 games and found only 3 pitchers (Plain, Alvelo, Fizer) who used out of the glove and 12 pitchers with backswings. I found video of Alicia Hollowell in the 2006 Championship game using OOG so it's not like the technique hasn't been around.

And just for the record when I feel a pitcher is ready I insist that she try OOG for several sessions, and then I let them make the decision on what to do.

Arm, you're right. The numbers don't lie. Home runs are up, batting averages are up, pitchers need to wear facemasks now days. And yes, I'm aware a good portion of that is due to bats and balls. The other portion is to the fact hitters are getting better and better.

Very soon the art of picking pitchers will trickle down to local competitions and then hitters will be skilled at the art by the time they reach college. I've said all along that this is a gradual process. RIGHT NOW, you're right. Pitchers can and do get away with showing the ball and the pitch because hitters aren't being taught to simply pay attention. But that is slowly changing. More and more male fastpitch players are getting into coaching and, just like the male influence on pitching that you see more and more now, male influence on hitting (male fastpitch players) will take affect. Changes like this don't happen instantly but I promise you the best hitters you see in college are picking pitchers and capitalizing on coaches who obtain the pick for them. I'd say we are in one the last generations of pitchers who will have a great deal of success doing this. But, that's just my opinion and I respect your's too Armwhip. But I am speaking from experience and the trend that is happening.

Jan 14, 2020
Definitely improving. When did she start bringing her arm across her body on the follow through?

She is rushing her backswing...it is bad in golf and it is bad pitching.

She is trying to get into the proper position to begin her bodies forward motion. Try to get her to slow down on the backswing and focus on getting her body and arm in a consistent position to begin the forward arm movement.

It worked, slowing the arm down helped. I don't remember who mentioned it on here, but squeeze cheeks has kept her hips from clearing out and getting better brush. Getting comfortable with cheek squeezing and a consistent slower backswing before we move to anything else.

Oct 4, 2018
I yell "oranges" from the stands when I want my DD to squeeze her butt cheeks more.

The one time I yelled "Squeeze your butt cheeks" at a tournament was a tad embarassing.

Jan 14, 2020
I yell "oranges" from the stands when I want my DD to squeeze her butt cheeks more.

The one time I yelled "Squeeze your butt cheeks" at a tournament was a tad embarassing.
If squeeze your cheeks is the most ridiculous thing that comes out of my mouth, I call that a win... lol

Jan 14, 2020

Proud Poppa moment. She had about 15 minutes before we were leaving for a basketball game and she wanted to 'slow everything down'.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee