A thread for the umps...what would you do’s, oddball plays, war stories

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Did my first game of the year last night (an indoor scrimmage). Not ideal conditions- bad lighting, no lines, temporary bases that kept having to be adjusted- but it sure was great to be back out there. Nothing crazy play-wise...a couple of whackers, and a catcher’s obstruction, and pretty decent pitching for 12u in March.

Start doing your squats though...I’m definitely a little sore this morning!

Apr 28, 2014
Question for umps
No matter the level do you guys and gals hate poor pitching? I'm guessing its gotta be a better day when the pitchers hit spots. I think it would frustrate me to call a game with walk after walk.

Oct 16, 2019
One recommendation to all younger umpires doing games by yourself...when you are behind the plate, when the ball is hit, don't stay behind the plate, move out front, get angles, hustle...it goes along way to make a game flow much easier. It is much harder for a coach to get on your case if you are hustling; if you stay behind the plate, coaches will give you more grief and you will miss many more calls, you just can't see as well. Ten years doing Federation baseball taught me this.

Ray

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
One recommendation to all younger umpires doing games by yourself...when you are behind the plate, when the ball is hit, don't stay behind the plate, move out front, get angles, hustle...it goes along way to make a game flow much easier. It is much harder for a coach to get on your case if you are hustling; if you stay behind the plate, coaches will give you more grief and you will miss many more calls, you just can't see as well. Ten years doing Federation baseball taught me this.

Ray

As a coach, I am much more likely to think I'm right on a close play at a base, especially third if I'm coaching third, if the umpire is hanging out behind home plate. If the umpire is getting as close as possible and giving himself the best possible look, it's a lot more difficult for me to argue even if I'm pretty sure he was wrong. Blown calls happen. A lack of effort is disrespectful to the players who are trying their best.

In one case, the umpire is hustling and clearly doing everything possible to get it right. In the other, I'm not sure he even wants to be there.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Question for umps
No matter the level do you guys and gals hate poor pitching? I'm guessing its gotta be a better day when the pitchers hit spots. I think it would frustrate me to call a game with walk after walk.

It is not a lot of fun - especially in HS when neither team has a pitcher who can throw a strike no matter how big your zone has to become and it is 7 innings and neither team can get to a run rule because they both can't pitch. It is boring more than hatred. You are going to be there forever... I am lucky enough to rarely have to do these games anymore but I certainly remember a 4 hour 28-26 game...

What I do hate is cathers' who can't catch. Last week I was behind the plate with several pitchers who threw in the mid-upper 60's (and inside) but that was just fine because the catchers were all great. The game I hated was the girl who throws mid-forties but the catcher couldn't catch the ball. I got hit several times - most got my equipment - but one on my right forearm which is still bruised.

Oct 16, 2019
Blown calls happen. A lack of effort is disrespectful to the players who are trying their best.

In one case, the umpire is hustling and clearly doing everything possible to get it right. In the other, I'm not sure he even wants to be there.
Exactly. Kids are playing hard, you need to play hard as an ump...kids and coaches appreciate it.

Oct 14, 2019
extra innings. texas tiebreaker situation. first team up doesn’t put runner on 2nd base. nobody, including umpires, notices. 2 runs score, no outs before it comes to the ump’s attention. what should the umps do?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802