A thread for the umps...what would you do’s, oddball plays, war stories

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 5, 2012
I've seen a lot of crazy things over the years, especially in rec where they are still learning the game.

Bases loaded, 2 outs & ball four to the batter. The runner on 3B proceeds to HP but never touches the plate & goes to the dugout. I see it. The HC for the defense sees it. The parents behind the backstop see it. The HC tells his catcher to appeal the runner. I call her out & inning over. Of course, here comes the opposing HC to argue the call. He asks his player if she touched HP & of course she says that she did. I tell the HC that it was ball 4 & I literally have nothing else to do except watch the runner touch home!

R1 on 1B, 0 outs. Batter hits a pop up to short left center that drops in. R1 heads to 2b & stops. The outfielders weren't hustling after the ball & the BR was thing 2 bases all the way. She arrives at 2B & realizes that R1 is still there. She then returns to 1b. That should have been the end of it but here come the HC for the defense to the BU (I was the PU) demanding that an automatic out be call for 2 runners occupying the same base at the same time. The BU was pretty new & immediately flustered so I headed out there to explain to the coach that there was no such rule that resulted in an automatic out & that the correct runner had to be put out before returning to their correct base. The HC then proceeded to get personal which resulted in him being finished for the day. Two minutes later the asst. HC comes over to me prior to the resumption of play, shoves her smart phone in my face with something she pulled up that says, "Two runners cannot occupy the same base." That's all it said. Nothing else. No effect...... Nothing about the result of the play. I could've thrown her out as well for that act but she was new to the game & that would've resulted in a forfeit. I took pity on her & just told her, smh, to get that out of my face & go back to the bench.

BTW, I saw the same HC 2 weeks later & asked him if he reviewed the rule book. He told me that he didn't need to read no stinking rule book! I've subsequently had to throw him out of 2 other games for having a reckless mouth. he's very careful now & says as little as possible!

Now that I think about it, there are a lot of rec coaches who I literally had to coach while officiating who are now H.S. HC's. A lot of them have forgotten from whence they came.......

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
This weekend I call a 2-2 pitch outside... because it is outside and didn't cross the plate.

Coach wants a strike.... asks his catcher to ask me where it was... I tell her outside.
She tells her coach it was outside.
He says "It was meant to be outside"

Still not sure why we all weren't happy :)

Dec 15, 2018
CT
When your last game of the weekend is a 5pm 10u, no new inning after 1:45, and the 5th ends at 1:44:20...arrrrgh.....

I will enjoy this well deserved beer (or 3)...

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Also, had the good fortune of having an evaluator at my sat night game, which was super helpful. I definitely need to hold my out calls longer (confirm possession), and was getting into bad habit of leaning with outside pitches. Great to have some honest and helpful feedback.

Jan 7, 2012
Also, had the good fortune of having an evaluator at my sat night game, which was super helpful. I definitely need to hold my out calls longer (confirm possession), and was getting into bad habit of leaning with outside pitches. Great to have some honest and helpful feedback.
I think what you meant to say is that you need to wait longer before you make any call. Remember , Stop-Set-Focus-HOLD-Call. There is no need to rush any call. If he/she is out or safe now, he/she is going to be out or safe 2 seconds from now. Take your time and get it right the first time

Jan 24, 2020
I think what you meant to say is that you need to wait longer before you make any call. Remember , Stop-Set-Focus-HOLD-Call. There is no need to rush any call. If he/she is out or safe now, he/she is going to be out or safe 2 seconds from now. Take your time and get it right the first time

When I was managing (12u and below) the only thing that got me out of the dugout was when an Umpire called a play before it happened. I never questioned the call, I just politely asked that he let the play finish prior to making a call because the fielders deserved the chance to make great plays and the runners deserved to have their hustle matter. In my opinion the worst thing for any game is when there is a perception of bias on the part of the referee/umpire, and making calls early feeds that faster than anything, bad calls are bad calls, early calls are biased calls.

Jan 7, 2012
I’m not sure how you correlate early calls with biased calls but, that being said, you more likely have an umpire getting caught up in the action and letting his anticipation override his tempo. Umpires are trained to hold their calls until the completion of the play. Newer umpires have a tendency to react too quickly and often make their calls before the play is complete leading to the dreaded out-safe-out scenario. Not to say that veteran umpires are immune to hurrying calls but you find it happening less often with seasoned umpires. Just about every one of us has, on occasion , reminded ourselves to Stop-Set-Focus-HOLD then Call after making a call too quickly. It’s not a matter of bias, it’s a matter of poor mechanics.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018
CT
Got to watch my assignor ump my DD’s game last night. True professional, so was great to see (even though our team crapped the bed). Had a runner interference, a foul ball behind the head, and a banger at the plate on an amazing throw from CF.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478