A thread for the umps...what would you do’s, oddball plays, war stories

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 16, 2019

Whats your opinion? Seems like an easy enough call to me, but lots of argument on youtube

A good general rule of thumb for me when I was umpiring, if it looks similar to something from WWE, the girl is out, and ejected. :) But those plays where a catcher has to go up the line can cause some serious emotions in a game, and sometimes injury. Looks like she is okay, so that is a good thing.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Maybe it was too hot for chirping or complaining this weekend…but did 7 games, 6 plates, and had ONE coach say ONE thing about a banger….and absolutely nothing about strike zone. It was a little eerie. (Not bragging, because for sure I missed a pitch here and there, more a credit to some solid and mature coaches)

Highlight was 10u state championship final…3 man, with 2 awesome veteran partners, I had plate. It was smoothest game I’ve ever had.

Earned beer and pool time.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Thought I had kind of a crappy game last night (it happens). My zone on lefties sucked. I think I missed a close one at 1B.

Had the same team tonight and was kind of dreading it because he was on the crappy end of my bad night...but got text from coach banging it for rain:

"Coach Sxxx from Exxx 10U. Game tonight is cancelled, fields are bad. Please confirm receipt.
And thank you. you are our favorite ump. See you soon".

He didn't have to add that thanks, but it was pretty cool.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Today was my first time calling a legit 62-63 mph pitcher (14u). Admittedly it took about 2 batters to get oriented. Didn’t help that she was “effectively wild” tonight. It was challenging, but a good experience. Coach was on me a bit - he must be used to getting Everything. But I was dialed in on both sides, sorry that she’s not getting a ball and a half inside.

He was very good at not “arguing balls and strikes” while instructing her to “hit the clown’s mouth” or “he’s got to give you one eventually” or “I guess we should put it on a tee”. Pretty sure he was just pissed that he wasn’t running away with a tournament they probably shouldn’t be in, so I ignored.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
He was very good at not “arguing balls and strikes” while instructing her to “hit the clown’s mouth” or “he’s got to give you one eventually” or “I guess we should put it on a tee”. Pretty sure he was just pissed that he wasn’t running away with a tournament they probably shouldn’t be in, so I ignored.

You don't have to put up with that if it goes on - comments like “he’s got to give you one eventually” or “I guess we should put it on a tee” are clearly arguing balls and strikes. Just because he thinks he is 'clever' because he is 'talking to the pitcher' and not you directly actually doesn't matter (and he will try to argue this). He is very clearly verbally and loudly arguing balls and strikes even if he is trying to get away with it by doing it indirectly.

At some point after another snide BS comment - and I suggest you do this early in the game if the coach is known for this -, you take you mask off, you walk over to him and very politely and quietly say "That is enough. We are not doing this - you cannot question balls and strikes openly. It stops now". Don't need to make a big deal about it, just walk over, say your piece and then walk away - no need to engage further.

If he does it again, it is time for them to to go. But most of these 'clever' coaches who "are just seeing what the limits are" are smart enough to stop when it is clear you are not going to put up with it and move onto some other thing.

There is one local coach where we both know this conversation is going to happen within the first wo innings. Frankly he is just a bully and an a$$ but he behaves when the really good umpires have his games because he isn't getting away with it and he gets shut down early.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Today was my first time calling a legit 62-63 mph pitcher (14u). Admittedly it took about 2 batters to get oriented. Didn’t help that she was “effectively wild” tonight. It was challenging, but a good experience. Coach was on me a bit - he must be used to getting Everything. But I was dialed in on both sides, sorry that she’s not getting a ball and a half inside.

What the hell does "hit the clown's mouth" mean?

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Tale of two coaches, same game:

Coach 1: “How can you ring her up on that, that’s 4 inches [oddly specific and really not a lot] outside!!!!!”

Coach 2: Pulls player aside “Hey, I am a pitcher. That’s a pitchers pitch, she hit a spot. Maybe, maybe it’s off, But with 2 strikes you have to get that. Foul it off, whatever. But that’s too close”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802