A player walks up and says....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Understandable to be concerned if a roster is seamingly full, team seems set, positions filled, and coach decides to bring a player out to take a look.

That said,
How about this perspective...
If the goal is to win.
And talent shows up to help that goal...
Isnt that a good thing?!

When opportunity knocks on the door...
it may be worth the time to atleast greet it with hospitality! ;)

Well there is this thing called team chemistry. The sum of the whole is greater than the individuals. Granted you do need ability. But here you have gone through months of practice, bonded with teammates and fought with them to win , only to be replaced because the new player had ++abilities. Who's next?

No thanks.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Well there is this thing called team chemistry. The sum of the whole is greater than the individuals. Granted you do need ability. But here you have gone through months of practice, bonded with teammates and fought with them to win , only to be replaced because the new player had ++abilities. Who's next?

No thanks.
True chemistry matters!
Could also say if travel ball is training us for college.
Every player will experience new players on the roster.
(like high school too!)

To the point of chemistry,
Just may find a new person who fits in great!

Jun 8, 2016
"Chemistry" (whatever that means...) will only be negatively affected by the addition of a new player if a) the player is a pain in the rear or b) some of the current players are pains in the rear (in which case the chemistry will likely be bad to begin with)

radness

Dec 13, 2019
"Chemistry" (whatever that means...) will only be negatively affected by the addition of a new player if a) the player is a pain in the rear or b) some of the current players are pains in the rear (in which case the chemistry will likely be bad to begin with)
What if other players already know new player? Just adding that for chit chat.

Jun 8, 2016
What if other players already know new player?
Doesn't change what I said..."Chemistry" (I hate the use of that word in sports btw) can change if the new player creates problems with her attitude etc or if the current players are such that they won't welcome new competition for their spots.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Doesn't change what I said..."Chemistry" (I hate the use of that word in sports btw) can change if the new player creates problems with her attitude etc or if the current players are such that they won't welcome new competition for their spots.
It can happen!

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Have also seen that happen when HC brings another Azzistant Coach on board .

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Have also xperienced a player elevating a team.
And a new coach.

Glass half full or half empty?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478