A player walks up and says....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
A player walks up and says...
"I want to play on your team!"

Thing is, your team already has its positions filled.
And you express that.
The player responds,
"I will not disapoint you!"

Coach, What do you do?

GO SOFTBALL

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
A player walks up and says...
"I want to play on your team!"

Thing is, your team already has its positions filled.
And you express that.
The player responds,
"I will not disapoint you!"

Coach, What do you do?

GO SOFTBALL

I'd Ask the following questions:

1. Did you miss our tryouts?
2. Are you currently on another team?
3. Why do you want to play for this team?

Based on her replies I' d have additional questions

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I'd Ask the following questions:

1. Did you miss our tryouts?
2. Are you currently on another team?
3. Why do you want to play for this team?

Based on her replies I' d have additional questions
Just to keep in the loop to posts...

1. There may not be tryouts posted.
2. Was but left for better opportunity.
3. Because their well coached and good.

Jan 7, 2020
I would exchange information with the parents and if something changes on your roster give them a call and see what she is capable of and if she is a good fit for your team. if you don't mind me what age group is this?

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I would exchange information with the parents and if something changes on your roster give them a call and see what she is capable of and if she is a good fit for your team. if you don't mind me what age group is this?
18u
Question could be for any age i guess...

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
From the replies it sounds like this is happening in the off-season so I will answer as such.

1. Well, we currently have what we consider a full roster. However, circumstances can change, or we could have players who cannot make certain games, tournaments and then there are possible injuries. We can have a private tryout and see if there is still mutual interest and need.

2. Is there anything I need to know about why you left the other team? Have you told them you are leaving?

3. I'm glad you have a positive opinion of our team and coaches. May I speak with your parents and explain the situation?

Oct 14, 2016
I would take the player. I don't mind large rosters and typically have 13+ on my team. I also coach at the high school level, so managing a large roster is not an issue. I understand concerns about play-time in travel ball so I will try to explain why I have no issues.

First, after the player approached me, I would speak with her and her parents. The conversation would go something like this:
Me: Thank you for your interest in our team. I current have x# of players on our roster, if that is not a concern, then you are welcome to attend our next two practices. It is important that you practice with us first to determine if this is still something you want to be a part of. You will need to fit with us, and we need to fit with you.
Parent: That sounds good.
Me: I cannot, and will not guarantee playtime. Playtime is earned. I will do my absolute best to give innings during pool play, but once we reach bracket, I am playing the best nine I feel, that day, will give us the best shot of winning. I don't always get it right, but I will try my best.
Parent: We understand.
Me: After the second practice, we will revisit this conversation and you can make a determination if you want to be a part of this team.
Parent: That's sounds acceptable. See you (next practice day).

My reasons for this:
1. This is the most important reason I have a larger roster than most. I am here to provide a service. I am here to give young athletes an opportunity to participate, learn, and grow in a game I enjoy. So I do my very best to give them quality instruction. In the latter part of my advanced years, I have understood whole-heartedly that it is not about me.
2. The more players I have, the better I can create challenges and game-like situations for practice. Adding another player to a station seldom slows down the rotations.
3. My bench seldom sits and does nothing. Every game we are charting, observing, and sharing information. My players on the bench are my extra eyes. We keep a book, we chart pitchers, we track hitters, we track routine outs, freebies, coaches routines, etc.
4. It is not personal. I have had players tryout for the bigger organizations and make their teams. To me, that means I did my job well. They can continue to pursue their goals. Sometimes, they come back to me, as it didn't pan out with that "big named" team.
5. I have had my share of team jumpers and toxics, but that doesn't dissuade me from doing my best to prepare them for the next level or team.

If we win, it's the players fault. If we lose, it's my fault. I regularly communicate with my parents, so I seldom have issues with playtime. There are occasions where I should have substituted, or adjusted the line-up. For me, I have no issue freely admitting when I screw up.

Feb 20, 2020
18U changes things a little, because she's old enough to be making these decisions on her own.

I'd ask her what she likes about your team, how she thinks she could help you and how you think you could help her. At that age you could use it as a way to get her thinking about her future and those are the kinds of questions college coaches should be asking her and she should be asking college coaches, so you might be able to get her to start articulating what she is looking for in her future playing. Assuming she's age-appropriate, it's not a lot of opportunity for you to play together -- one, maybe two seasons. So I'd see this more as a chance to help a young stranger's future than to improve your team.

And then I might tell her about the way you run practices and your team, and how that compares with what is being done now. Not that it makes any difference, but it gives you a chance to help her start thinking beyond the basics as she plans out her future. Does she plan on playing in college? Where's she looking? Maybe you know a person or two who went there. She's old enough to have a real conversation with, and that's how I'd handle it. Not recruitment, not dream destruction, but just a conversation with a young woman about what she's looking for in her future.

Invite her to a practice or two, for no other reason than for her to see how you do things. And then guest play. but this is a lot different than a 12-year-old running up to you -- this is a young woman trying to figure out what to do next in this part of her life and taking a bold step to achieve it. I'd reward her bravery as much as I could.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802