A Pitching Primer - What am I missing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
As I am only one person, and not a very good pitching-teaching person at that, I am putting together a little primer for my players (all ages) and parents who show interest in pitching. It's basically going to be a bunch of YouTube videos, plus any other sources (like DFP, Fastpitch Foundations, Nyree White/Amanda Scarborough Facebook pages) that I think are useful.

I'm starting with a few videos (Balswick, Java) on IR/the arm circle. I'm also going to include something on Drive Mechanics.

After that, I'm stuck. What I do NOT want to do is include too much information. This is a starter kit, so to speak. This is me giving them a few things to do, and then once they have that down, we go from there. I can always send more advanced videos to those who show themselves to be dedicated.

So what is a MUST include for this primer? I'm not going to include something like finger pressure ball movement. That's for later.

Are IR/Arm circle and basic drive mechanics "enough" to get someone started?
@CoachJD great post and great questions. I hope this will end up being a good thread full of great info. I will add this and some may disagree but I think a great starting point is that the arm CIRCLE is not a CIRCLE at all. Closer to an inverted "U" or sideways "U".

Good luck and keep up the great work!

S3

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019
MN
...I think one thing I may need to add is "learn to throw underhand." Something I know, but never really think to talk much about....

I think this needs more emphasis. Over the years it became more and more strange to me for a pitcher to show up at a lesson and the first thing they do is start warming up by throwing overhand. I try to cut them off before they even get 5 throws in. You only have so much time, get more underhand reps in. Why not make underhand as ingrained as throwing overhand? Maybe even more so for pitchers. Warm-ups before school practice/travel practice/games, pitchers throw underhand. Slowly backing up into long toss, keep throwing underhand. Their accuracy will be as good as their overhand throwing teammates.

Feb 25, 2020
I think this needs more emphasis. Over the years it became more and more strange to me for a pitcher to show up at a lesson and the first thing they do is start warming up by throwing overhand. I try to cut them off before they even get 5 throws in. You only have so much time, get more underhand reps in. Why not make underhand as ingrained as throwing overhand? Maybe even more so for pitchers. Warm-ups before school practice/travel practice/games, pitchers throw underhand. Slowly backing up into long toss, keep throwing underhand. Their accuracy will be as good as their overhand throwing teammates.

I have had similar thoughts. To take it one step farther, If it's just throwing underhand, how did Greg Maddux(or any overhand pitcher) have such great control with no brush contact? How does that work.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I have had similar thoughts. To take it one step farther, If it's just throwing underhand, how did Greg Maddux(or any overhand pitcher) have such great control with no brush contact? How does that work.

There have been a few pitchers who have been successful without brush. Most notable is Barnhill. Those who utilize brush master control and drop spin much better. It also helps maximize deceleration/acceleration.

Apr 12, 2015
There have been a few pitchers who have been successful without brush. Most notable is Barnhill. Those who utilize brush master control and drop spin much better. It also helps maximize deceleration/acceleration.

Just makes you wonder how good Barnhill would have been with better mechanics.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas

I disagree. Brush interference is two parts. Part 1 is the brushing of the body to start the release phase of hte pitch. Part 2 is the blocking of the arm by the body which increases the speed of the forearm.

She has "brush fire"--that is, her arm does brush her body prior to release. This brush signals the body to start the release phase of the pitch.

Barnhill does not have "brush block". Her upper arm is not stopped by her body.

There was a pitcher at Northwestern U a few years back with zero brush interference. She would strike out 15 and walk 10.

Attachments

• barnhill1.JPG
    barnhill1.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101