A little Different situation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2010
I am reading on this forum a lot about travel ball and rec ball.
My situation here is a little different than most all of you I believe.
We have only LL even if we had travel ball it would be the same players because of geographic isolation and limeted kids and the money issue is huge here. No one can afford 400 to try out for a travel team.

So when we play other teams in other towns we are all LL but play against some teams that have a large mix of girls who do both.
I think that this makes us better, usually by the end of the season we are doing plenty of winning.
I have even had a quite a few travel coaches want some of my girls for their team.

None have ever gone to do it though because of the cost and how far they would have to go to practice.
The only thing I dont like is when an opposing LL coach says that all my girls are "obvisouly ASA players"
I have been told that I am "almost cheating".
What I think has happened is that I have had to face a little better compitition and raised my level of coaching up.
I also dont have a daughter on a team any more I just kept coaching instead of quitting when she moved on.
So every year I see new coaches making the same old mistakes that I no longer make.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Thanks for your story...it is always wonderful when you find someone out there doing something for the kids.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
You are one of the best kinds of coaches, honestly. You keep doing it because you love it and you've got a group of talented girls. You utilize them in their best positions, with no favoritism because you don't have a kid on the team.

Dec 31, 2009
I remeber coaching my son's first LL team. There were a couple coaches who were on their second child. They knew the ropes, and they won a lot of games against us inexperienced coaches.

At first, I thought they were cheating, or pushing the kids too hard, or something not right. I watched them to see what they were doing. I saw that they were doing something I was not doing, they were coaching, I was not. I learned a lot from them that year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles