A hashed out subject

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
I know this forum has had plenty of go-rounds with 1 vs 2 legged hitting. I read this article that I found interesting. Though I would share.

Thought the best statement in the article is " We simply can’t be perfect all the time, and failing to train your hitters how to compete when they aren’t perfect, is doing them a huge disservice. "

May 23, 2015
What is there to hash out. Batter have hit like that since the game was created. A lot of Latin players work hard on it then the Japanese players grabbed it. Some are more exaggerated that other. Ive seen a lot if players look like chickens scratching with their back lef. They were taught that way

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Thought this was settled already....

"My weight is my left (rear) foot, as I start swinging, my weight shifts to my right (lead) foot at the time of contact with the ball." - Babe Ruth

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Nn0W5y44g3X7o2sKjKQv92fInMOSQBFb3_7sHot1Ho2a5rLffmX32DcYQ4nSFXljHiQ-Uvc7pjquSyFMxTVq-RyLL7q09rbcjtzFuwlcHfO2

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

The problem isn't so much with the phrases "one-legged" or "two-legged", but with how they are interpreted by various people. In the Bonds clips above, I see an excellent example of a "one-legged" hitter. Others will use the same exact clips to support their "two-legged" view. To each their own. Personally, if you can teach a hitter to duplicate Bonds, I don't care if you call it "twelve-legged"...

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
" You can only stay on one leg for so long before losing your balance forward, assuming you’re getting some forward movement (which you should be). "

" . . . . balance forward, . . . "?
Well this is interesting, because I do not often see a batter fall forward on their face. Very frequently even a linear focused hitter will use the backside knee-drive to turn the hips completely to 90°, rather than a false hip rotation that finished with about a 65-70° hip rotation, and the backside kicks hard toward the frontside which is used as a "wall" against continued forward movement. The will lose balance, and the step that recaptures balance is usually backward or the back heel comes down. They aren't ballerinas. So the assumption is strange which I often see in opinions.
Mookie Betts is a pretty linear hitter, watch him brace his weight from going backward. You can see the back-knee drive, the full hip rotation to 90°, deep entry of the bat-head onto the plane of the pitch, long extension, weight shifts back.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
One legged is just a silly term.. why would anybody depend on 1 leg when they could leverage 2?

Sports are littered with strange terms. Think literally about the phrase "forward yet back" for a minute. It's a pure contradiction. Yes, you and I both know what it means, but the term itself isn't great.

When my daughter first started playing, she had one of those coaches that liked to yell instructions while she was in the batter's box (drove me crazy...). After one of the games she told me that this was very distracting. I asked her to just try to block it out. In the box, think about nothing but hitting the ball. Otherwise, keep your mind "empty". She started taping her wrists, and on the underneath of her left wrist she wrote the letters "MT". I asked her what that meant. It was her way of remembering to keep her mind "empty". Silly term, but it worked for her.

That's been my view all along. I want her to be successful. It isn't my job to be the vocabulary police... The term may seem silly to you. To me, arguing about it seems silly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse