A Great Pitching Lesson

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
I agree! My 13 year old daughter has learned mostly from me up to this point. I've taught myself from watching Michele Smith's DVDs, as well as others, and I think she's doing OK. But I know I can take her only so far. One thing I can't teach her is real game experience - which is invaluable. Softball pitching wisdom passed down from a former college player and current University pitching coach is priceless, which is what my daughter's been receiving from her current TT pitching coach. To me this is as important as the physical aspects of pitching.

Gerry

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
There IS a big difference between teaching a kid how to pitch and teaching a pitcher how to WIN.

Lots of coaches can teach the first one, not nearly as many can teach the latter of those.

Good luck to your daughters.

Ole Coach Hal

May 12, 2008
Same thing in hitting. There is learning how to swing and then there is learning how to hit. There is learning how to throw pitches and then there is learning how to pitch. Knowing the first would be the foundation for the second.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
A player learns to "win" when she learns to perform difficult mental and physical tasks during times of high stress. You aren't going to learn that from any hitting or pitching coach.

May 12, 2008
And the first car Mario Andretti drove fast wasn't an Indy car at the brickyard. It's a process.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
A player learns to "win" when she learns to perform difficult mental and physical tasks during times of high stress. You aren't going to learn that from any hitting or pitching coach.

Cant tell you about the hitting end of that but, WRONG on the pitching end.

A pitcher's confidence level is what keeps them from experiencing any "times of high stress". That knowledge and frame of mind can MOST DEFINITELY be instilled into a pitching student. If that is not a part of your pitching instructors plan of teaching, you need to find a different instructor because that one is NOT a winner.

As I said, teaching them to pitch and teaching them to win ARE two different things. If both are not taught, the student is just going to be another pitcher, just another thrower, cannon fodder for a well trained team of hitters.

I hope some other good instructors will chime in for this one.

The aurgument about teaching pitchers to pitch only or be a pitcher and winner at the same time has been discussed on other websites. Everyone brings up Ernie Parker as evidence that you do not have to be an x pitchers to teach the game.

That is true to a point there are things I can teach pitchers that some one like Ernie can not which is experience in sticky or stressfull situtations and what to look for in tendancies of a batter, etc.

So I agree with Hall that if a pitching coach is not working the mental part of pitching and teaching how to get out of situations other than pitch and catch they are not doing there part.

p.s. This thread is not my way of slamming Ernie, I respect him alot.

May 12, 2008
Some are good at teaching mechanics and spin. Some are good at teaching the mental side. A few are good at both. Find what you can and what turns out to be a good fit for you.

Feb 8, 2009
Talking about stress experienced during a game is one thing, similating it is another. There is no substitute for game situations. You can prepare for the stress felt in games only to a point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802