A Great Pitching Lesson

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2009
North Carolina
I agree with Hal here. When my pitchers (remember I work with the younger students) reach a certain point in learning their mechanics, IE: ready to pitch in games, I begin working in the mental side of the game. This is essential for any pitching coach, in my opinion. If you teach a girl not only to pitch but how to play the position stress becomes less of a factor because you have prepared them to handle any situation that arises and this gives them confidence in their ability to handle what comes up. This confidence is what keeps the stress levels down and manageable. Stressful games can not be avoided but a confident pitcher will either not be effected or will be able to keep it manageable.
I have been to see some of my girls play where I was on the edge of my seat and when I talked to them after the game they thought I was crazy. One time my pitcher did not even feel any stress over the situation and just told me she knew what she was doing and trusted her team to back her up. No stress just playing ball. When a pitcher is confident enough in herself and her ability to play the position tough game situations just become part of the process not something to stress over. You know you have done your job as a coach when this happens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802