A (free) Lesson

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
fix-anterior-pelvic-tilt-poor-posture-250x300.jpg

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Thank you Cannonball. Now I understand that pelvic tilt is the same as anterior tilt.
I think that a difference would be that the shoulders are not held back or upright. What I mean is exactly demonstrated in the gif I posted. It is a position that one comes to during the load. Here if Votto in the positions I am describing.

Attachments

• Votto Walk-Off Grand Slam-Side View.jpg
    Votto Walk-Off Grand Slam-Side View.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
One flows into the other. The mistake, IMO, that some make is to take something like pelvic tilt and pre set it. IMO, a hitter learns how to properly load by having an efficient pelvic tilt. I believe that many overcook pelvic tilt to the point that it is detrimental to the swing. Good and sequenced pelvic tilt enables a smooth transition to lateral tilt. It also, if done correctly enables for the swing to be adjustable. If I might, when we prepare for a riseball pitcher, one of the things we work on is making sure our hitters don't overcook pelvic tilt in their load.

Edited to add:

If you have any of Noontimes clips where he freezes the hitter at the "go position," I think you might see an example of what I try to coach. As I have posted several times, I have a young lady who, at the age of 12, is hitting serious bombs. She is now playing 14 and 16U. Her ability to drive the ball is due to hitting with her core with resistance on the backside during the transfer of those two tilts. In some, they might call that having a "corner" and being able to maintain it more powerfully.
I would really like to understand this and would appreciate more info.

Sep 17, 2009
Cannonball in your mind what's wrong with presetting pelvic tilt? I think getting the body athletically situated in the stance is good for young hitters. It gets the body engaged and ready to properly stretch, adjust and explode.

I don't ever use the phrase pelvic or anterior tilt with hitters, I talk about getting the body ready. I ask do you play basketball or volleyball? Do you play defense or get ready to dig with an un-engaged body? What do you do? Bend the knees. Butt out. Chest over. Engage the core. Etc. Versus: standing un-engaged on 'bird legs' and hoping somehow to successfully do an extremely aggressive explosive movement from a passive stance.

The other end of the spectrum would be hitters like Matt Carpenter or Anthony Rizzo who are upright or literally rhythmically leaning *backward* and then flowing into an anterior tilt/attack position at launch.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Cannonball in your mind what's wrong with presetting pelvic tilt? I think getting the body athletically situated in the stance is good for young hitters. It gets the body engaged and ready to properly stretch, adjust and explode.

I don't ever use the phrase pelvic or anterior tilt with hitters, I talk about getting the body ready. I ask do you play basketball or volleyball? Do you play defense or get ready to dig with an un-engaged body? What do you do? Bend the knees. Butt out. Chest over. Engage the core. Etc. Versus: standing un-engaged on 'bird legs' and hoping somehow to successfully do an extremely aggressive explosive movement from a passive stance.

The other end of the spectrum would be hitters like Matt Carpenter or Anthony Rizzo who are upright or literally rhythmically leaning *backward* and then flowing into an anterior tilt/attack position at launch.
Rich, I don't mind it so much if it is not stiff. However, some players preset it and I've seen it kill the load. For me, I want that tilt to happen as a part of the load to enhance the load. In the Votto stills, the first frame is right at where the pelvic tilt is maximized. (My opinion) From there, if you look at Votto, he has adjusted some to the pitch location including a change in pelvic tilt angle. (slight) For me it is a part of the running start if done right.
Rolling Hard, if your question was about resistance on the backside, look at the Votto frame 3. Notice what is happening with the back knee. Also, notice that the barrel of the bat is just beginning the "rip"portion of "tip and rip." Notice that in frame 4, that the hands have come into "connection" with the back shoulder" and will ride that for a very brief time. Notice the back knee again. Now, notice in frame 4 that the front knee is still somewhat bent. That is all of the resistance on the backside. By frame 5, the hands are flying off of connection and that front knee is straight. The "C" on the backside is starting to become pronounced and the head has barely moved during all of this swing. That is what I am talking about.

For both Rich and Rolling Hard, keep in mind that I am not an expert. These are things I coach. Naturally, I look at a swing a lot differently because I use the true definition of PCR as the way I gauge a swing. So, I really do think , " what does the posture, connection and rotation" look like in a swing and then plan my hitting instruction for my students or my team in that manner. I hope this makes sense to all of you. BTW, if some of you read this and think I'm dumb, that is fine. I've been thought of much worse. LOL

Attachments

• Votto Walk-Off Grand Slam-Side View.jpg
    Votto Walk-Off Grand Slam-Side View.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802