A (free) Lesson

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Please show me any MLB hitter who doesn't do this.
Yeah I know what a MLB barrel path looks like, under and up through. But she is getting too steep, dumping the barrel because she is tilting too much. Her tilt is not matching the plane/location of the pitch.... Also I have a feeling she has a nasty habit of the barrel dropping below lead forearm alignment.

For example
Shoulder High, still coming up through, but tilt matches location of pitch

Below shoulder

Tilt should match the plane of the/location of the pitch. My DD's do not. That's why I started high tee. When she can hit the high one properly, I will change heights and hopefully she will have a better understanding about tilt.

Do you have any other recommendations?

Thanks

May 12, 2016
@julray -- A drill I have used with some success is an extreme low tee. I use an empty Gatorade bottle.
But FP26 she is already tilting too low on pitches high in the zone.. that's why I thought high tee. I can understand why you recommend this, tilt has to match location, but I thought the other extreme would make more sense? Wouldn't your drill be more appropriate for a kid who doesn't tilt?

Jun 8, 2016
But FP26 she is already tilting too low on pitches high in the zone.. that's why I thought high tee. I can understand why you recommend this, tilt has to match location, but I thought the other extreme would make more sense? Wouldn't your drill be more appropriate for a kid who doesn't tilt?
Point is to learn to match tilt to pitch location..if her set/predefined tilt right now matches a pitch location where the ball is on a Gatorade bottle I doubt she would be hitting anything...LOL!!

Edit: One thing I will say however is that being able to match tilt to pitch location off of a tee is one thing. It is another to be able to read pitch location and then reactively do that. My DD has no issues tilting off the tee, extremely low to high tee she is fine. However when the ball is moving at a decent pace all bets are off.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Point is to learn to match tilt to pitch location..if her set/predefined tilt right now matches a pitch location where the ball is on a Gatorade bottle I doubt she would be hitting anything...LOL!!
I know this pattar, I just thought one extreme would be better than the other in this case and go from there, :)

Jun 8, 2016
I know this pattar, I just thought one extreme would be better than the other in this case and go from there, :)
Like I said in my edit of post 45, I am not convinced doing these things off of a tee is of much use tbh. They cannot hurt I guess (other than to take time away from hitting front toss) but I am not sure they necessarily translate all that well to a live ball, at least they don't for my DD. Then again all kinds of weird sh*& happens with my DD when there is a moving ball. Off of a tee she doesn't reach with her front foot or level the barrel either so it probably is just an issue with her 😂

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

I would try several locations and make sure she is adjusting properly to each. My typical methodology when teaching a new concept is tee, side toss, front toss. Once the student achieves the results I want at one stage, we move to the next. If it falls apart, we move back to reinforce. Rinse and repeat. As pattar mentions, hitting a moving ball is by far the most important part of this. Generally speaking, over 75% of a normal session will be front toss.

May 12, 2016
Like I said in my edit of post 45, I am not convinced doing these things off of a tee is of much use tbh. They cannot hurt I guess (other than to take time away from hitting front toss) but I am not sure they necessarily translate all that well to a live ball, at least they don't for my DD. Then again all kinds of weird sh*& happens with my DD when there is a moving ball. Off of a tee she doesn't reach with her front foot or level the barrel either so it probably is just an issue with her 😂
Well I'm thinking if she can't do it properly off the tee, good luck live pitching, lol

Jan 28, 2017
Thank you! I believe this is my dd problem, tilt same way on every pitch. I asked her to do high tee drill last night.... right at her shoulders. She was under the ball every swing, she made contact, but barrel path started under the ball and up through. I was wondering if she could figure it out herself, she couldn’t. I tried to explain, keeping hands above the ball, but made no difference. She was tilting every time which resulted in barrel/hands starting below the ball.

One of TM resent videos- hitting tee you are dropping your hands or losing posture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog