A change in mentality question for the group.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
In your new move of teams do you see a lot of existing players who have been in the pipeline of the Elite Org's since 10U? People in our age climb over themselves to get on "The Team" in the younger ages. I wonder how many really shake out as they approach 14U and up?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
In your new move of teams do you see a lot of existing players who have been in the pipeline of the Elite Org's since 10U? People in our age climb over themselves to get on "The Team" in the younger ages. I wonder how many really shake out as they approach 14U and up?

The team we joined has been together since 10U, but this year they turned over @ 80% of their roster. Almost all of the players who were already verballed (most to major D1 schools) decided to move up to 18U, and the coaching staff and organization wanted this team to stay a second year 16U team. So they held tryouts and added 10 new players this season (4 returning players). It has created a unique situation within the organization because the 1st year 16U team has been coming up through the age groups and they are getting preferential treatment and we are considered the "SCRUB" team....I cannot wait to get on the dirt this Spring because I think we are going to surprise a lot of people.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

One other thing I will mention is that most marquee organization teams are ALWAYS recruiting. You may have 15 players on your roster, but if the coach thinks he has found a "difference maker" they will go to 16 and not think twice. Some coaches will cut players, but most let players leave on their own when their playing time is reduced. When we were a Tier-2 organization or independent team, we played with the 12 we had and did not look to add anyone unless there was a season ending injury or someone left the team.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
My DD's team in not marquee and we don't have any marquee 14U players at the moment. Next year we are moving to 16U which will be only the 3rd year of the organization and that will only give us 12-16U age groups as we slowly build. I guess that makes us a tier 400 program lol.

How do you figure out your tier? I mean we haven't played a meaningful game this season because we've been adding players during the Winter as teams fold.

How do you get on the "GOOD" fields at showcase events? We aren't the So Cal Athletics, we aren't the Jersey Cheetahs or whomever else runs the TB world on your coast or area. So for the teams that are trying to break in what does it take to show your girls off?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
How do you get on the "GOOD" fields at showcase events? We aren't the So Cal Athletics, we aren't the Jersey Cheetahs or whomever else runs the TB world on your coast or area. So for the teams that are trying to break in what does it take to show your girls off?

Welcome to the "good ol' boy network" of travel softball......

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Jad,

that's what I figured. I spent some time with an 18U showcase team for experience and they put girls into quality D3 programs like Salisbury University in MD and still were never getting the good fields except late on Sunday.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Jad,

that's what I figured. I spent some time with an 18U showcase team for experience and they put girls into quality D3 programs like Salisbury University in MD and still were never getting the good fields except late on Sunday.

And how many college coaches are still at a showcase late Sunday afternoon???

Mar 26, 2013
And how many college coaches are still at a showcase late Sunday afternoon???
YMMV. I recall being concerned the couple times we played on Sunday afternoons and we ended up with more colleges than earlier in the weekend. One factor is our 18U teams played earlier and they directed colleges to see players on our 16U team. D1 coaches only get 50 eval days, so they have to use them wisely.

Getting on the good fields is very difficult for new/unknown teams without somebody the TD trusts vouching for them. Without that, teams need to become known by placing well in meaningful tourneys. Top showcase organizers do the best they can to group teams for competitive games and create match-ups that appeal to college coaches.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ra1449