"A" Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2016
Here in Georgia, I'd say there are probably about 20 "legit" A-level teams in every age group. Those teams can beat any other team in that group of 20 if they're firing on all cylinders. But then above those teams are 2 or maybe 3 teams that compete nationally to be the best team in the country.

The gap between the 20 "A-level" teams and those 2 or 3 elite teams is huge. Those girls playing on the elite teams will be playing D1 ball for the SEC, ACC, Big10, Big East and the PAC12. The best players on the next twenty teams might do well in D3, and maybe one in everry twenty will break through to D1 ball.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
I don't think "ranking" the teams to determine A or B is feasible. Maybe the national 14U tournaments draw that many entries, but similar to what Pattar mentioned, my area only has a handful of 10U B teams across VA, MD, and DE. Tournaments with a B or Open division rarely have more than 6 teams. 12-14U divisions will of course see more, but the difference in skill level is more akin to overlapping bell curves than a straight 1-100 ranking. Yes, the top ranked C team may go .500 in a B tournament, but even the 3rd or 4th ranked C team will likely get run-ruled at least every other game. The drop off (for my area) from #1, and maybe #2, to everyone else is significant.

Why would there be overlapping bell curves? What would cause that? I think it's one big curve. Slice it in ways that are practical for a particular tournament. In observing really good computer rankings in North Carolina in all age divisions, I've seen no evidence of overlapping bell curves. It's possible that could occur randomly in a small area, but my experience is that teams just line up in order without big gaps except. Although the difference between #1 and #5 is always bigger than #45 and #50.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Here in Georgia, I'd say there are probably about 20 "legit" A-level teams in every age group. Those teams can beat any other team in that group of 20 if they're firing on all cylinders. But then above those teams are 2 or maybe 3 teams that compete nationally to be the best team in the country.

The gap between the 20 "A-level" teams and those 2 or 3 elite teams is huge. Those girls playing on the elite teams will be playing D1 ball for the SEC, ACC, Big10, Big East and the PAC12. The best players on the next twenty teams might do well in D3, and maybe one in everry twenty will break through to D1 ball.

Agree with you about the gap.

Sounds like you are defining an A team as one that can beat the No. 1 team on any given day. (''Those teams can beat any other team in that group of 20 if they're firing on all cylinders.'') That's fair, but how much more likely is it that the No. 20 team will beat a top-five team than the No. 21 team? I'd think it's pretty much the same. If No. 20 can beat a top-five team 1 in 10 tries, I'd think No. 21 is right behind at 1 in 11 tries. As long as you agree there's no sudden gap anywhere (except sometimes at the very top), I will agree.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
With due respect, you can say something like that about any two teams in which one is clearly better than the other. IMO, these descriptive definitions of A and B teams are like chasing our tails. If you have 100 teams, they will rank 1-100, but there's never going to be any clear place where you can divide them into A and B. The top 50 on average will have deeper batting lineups and more quality pitchers, but there's no difference between the worst A team and the best B team. It's just a continuous line from 1-100. It's like college softball. Are there 8 elite college softball teams? 16? It's arbitrary.

I can't dispute anything you said about rankings. However, you also can "chase your tail" trying to deny what plainly exists. Althought teams mostly rate themselves, the A, B, C distinction exists. Based on my 14 years being involved with this, the characteristics I commented on are reasonable definitions to help break out the real deals from the pretenders.

Sep 3, 2015
Here in NorCal there are only a handful of really good teams at each age level and if you've been around a little you know who they are. There are no A, B, or C affiliations, just the tournaments that they sign up for. The good teams are making several trips to SoCal each season to find better teams. Even PGF tournaments get watered down up here so teams play up to get the competition. Now that DD jumped to 18u can't do that anymore.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Apr 24, 2017
Georgia
Nearly everyone claims to play an A schedule around here. You can be "Joe's Fireballs National Platinum Gold Elite" ( I hope this is not a team name, just made it up I promise!) and still sign up for Scenic City, T-Bolts, Legacy, CO Sparkler and the like, but if you aren’t playing the best of the best you cannot claim you are an “A” team. You are only a true “A” ball team when you consistently play top teams in the country and hang with them. Beat some of them, go to ITB with some of them, or lose by a run or two to them. I think "A" ball is basically what "B" ball used to be, and "Premier" , “Gold” or "National" teams are now really "A" ball. “C” ball is Rec AllStars.

Apr 28, 2014
Perspective....all perspective.
First time you see real 65 MPH pitching.. that's perspective.
First time you see a real 2.75 H to First.. that's perspective
First time you see girls fighting at the bat rack to face your DD in the circle.. that's perspective.
The term world series in softball is the most overused term ever uttered.
Gain perspective. :)

Jun 8, 2016
Perspective....all perspective.
First time you see real 65 MPH pitching.. that's perspective.
First time you see a real 2.75 H to First.. that's perspective
First time you see girls fighting at the bat rack to face your DD in the circle.. that's perspective.
The term world series in softball is the most overused term ever uttered.
Gain perspective. :)
Perspective...all perspective.
First time you ever try and guard somebody in practice who ends up playing in the NBA..that's perspective.
First time you hit against somebody who ended up pitching in MLB..that's perspective.

Oh wise one, some of us had that before our DD's ever laid a foot on the field..but thanks ;)

Apr 28, 2014
Perspective...all perspective.
First time you ever try and guard somebody in practice who ends up playing in the NBA..that's perspective.
First time you hit against somebody who ended up pitching in MLB..that's perspective.

Oh wise one, some of us had that before our DD's ever laid a foot on the field..
We are sometimes unworthy to be even in your online presence as your forgotten knowledge surpasses that of the uncommon man. That said I'm sure your wife will share your minor flaws. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad